Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small job, adhesive question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:45 pm 
New User

I’m only doing a 25 square foot bathroom with 5/8” x 8” engineered European Oak. All the best adhesives seem to be in 4 gallon buckets. Is there a product that a homeowner can purchase that will do the job that comes in a smaller quantity?

I should add that this is on tested concrete slab.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Small job, adhesive question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:34 am 
Prized Contributor

Caulking tubes are filled with Bostick best glue along with sausage tubes made for a special gun that hold more glue than the caulking size are available from distributors.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:24 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
Caulking tubes are filled with Bostick best glue along with sausage tubes made for a special gun that hold more glue than the caulking size are available from distributors.

I saw the caulking tubes of Bostick. Are you saying to apply the adhesive to the back of each plank with the tube or squeeze it out on the concrete and then spread it with a nothched trowel?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Scott

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:02 am 
Prized Contributor

You can get the same results as using a notched trowel with the glue gun. Run a bead on both edges and then a serpentine pattern between the lines. Use some weight over the flooring with 5 gal. buckets filled with water. A commercial painting company will have plenty if you call ahead. Use a quarter inch bead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:31 pm 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
You can get the same results as using a notched trowel with the glue gun. Run a bead on both edges and then a serpentine pattern between the lines. Use some weight over the flooring with 5 gal. buckets filled with water. A commercial painting company will have plenty if you call ahead. Use a quarter inch bead.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:50 am 
Prized Contributor

Tested the concrete eh? What test?
Your wood will still be subject to moisture emissions from slab. No slab is perfectly dry. And this will certainly fail at some point. Maybe not right away but it will, not a industry approved method on CC, wood substrate yes.
Float it with an underlayment and some T&G adhesive.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:15 pm 
New User

floormeintucson wrote:
Tested the concrete eh? What test?
Your wood will still be subject to moisture emissions from slab. No slab is perfectly dry. And this will certainly fail at some point. Maybe not right away but it will, not a industry approved method on CC, wood substrate yes.
Float it with an underlayment and some T&G adhesive.

2500 sq. ft. was installed by reputable flooring company on 12 year old slab. I remember seeing the report of the moisture content and it was well within the acceptable limits for gluing down engineered wood planks. The 2500 sq. ft. have been down for 2 years with no issues. I am doing a bathroom with the same wood flooring that is currently tiled. I installed 3000 sq. ft. of 2 1/4” solid red oak 35 years ago in my current home, drum sanded and finished twice, so I’m a little familiar with install over wood subfloor. Just looking to do a small job for my daughter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:45 am 
Valued Contributor

I think he's saying beads and not a full spread will not be a sufficient moisture barrier and could allow moisture to get into the wood.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:22 am 
New User

jeff burstein wrote:
I think he's saying beads and not a full spread will not be a sufficient moisture barrier and could allow moisture to get into the wood.

Yes. Whether I get a 2 gallon bucket or a bunch of tubes, I’ll be doing a full spread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:03 am 
New User

Yes, there are adhesive products available in smaller quantities that can be used for your project. Many manufacturers offer smaller size options for their adhesives, typically in sizes ranging from 1 quart to 1 gallon.

One example of a product that would be suitable for your project is the Bostik GreenForce adhesive. It is a high-performance adhesive that is designed for use with engineered hardwood flooring and can be used on concrete substrates. It is available in 1-gallon pails and can be purchased at most flooring retailers.

Another option to consider is the Roberts 1407 engineered wood flooring adhesive, which is available in both 1-quart and 1-gallon sizes. This adhesive is also designed for use with engineered hardwood flooring and can be used on concrete substrates.

When purchasing adhesive for your project, be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions and product specifications carefully to ensure that it is suitable for your specific application and substrate. Additionally, it's important to follow the manufacturer's recommended installation procedures to ensure a successful and long-lasting installation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 am 
New User

If you're looking for an adhesive to install your engineered wood flooring in your 25 square foot bathroom, you don't necessarily need to buy a 4 gallon bucket. There are smaller-sized adhesives available that are still really good quality. Some good options are Bostik's Best, Roberts 1407, and Mapei Ultrabond ECO 980.

Just make sure to read the instructions carefully and check that the adhesive you choose is appropriate for your installation on a concrete slab. If you're not sure which one to choose, you could always ask a professional installer or supplier for advice.

Profile E-mail