Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soft Pine Floor Poly
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:20 pm 
New User

I have recently installed 8" wide pine floors in my house and would like to get some feed back on the best type of poly for soft wood floors. I was thinking about Bona Traffic, but would like to know if there is anything out there that is less expensive and durable. I live in the mountains of Colorado and need to get the finishing work completed quickly so that we can be back inside as soon as possible. I was going to use Minwax Stain, but have read that it takes about 48 hours to dry. Is there a better choice of stain that will dry faster and work well with a water based poly like bona traffic. Does Oil based stain and oil based poly work better together? Any help would be great!

Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:34 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Oil based products usually take longer to dry so if you need to get done quickly, use waterbased. Bona, the company that makes Traffic, makes GREAT stains called DriFast and they are easy to work with and are compatable with Bona Traffic. BTW, many millworks and flooring manufacturers of pine flooring recommend Waterlox for pine floors. It is a tung oil finish sealer. Very easy to use. Not the most durable but easy to touch up.
http://www.waterlox.com/
http://www.bonakemi.com/productspecs/pd ... tStain.pdf

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:56 pm 
New User

Gary,

Thanks for the quick response. I think that the tung oil might be the answer. I looked at the waterlox website and it sounds like it may be what I am looking for. Does tung oil come in only one color? We were hoping to darken the color of our floors. I am also curious if we could use it now and then sand and refinish with stain and poly when the weather is warmer and we have more time.

Thanks again
Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:22 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Does tung oil come in only one color?

You can add some stain to it if you want.

Quote:
. I am also curious if we could use it now and then sand and refinish with stain and poly when the weather is warmer and we have more time.

Don't see why not. And you can always add poly over the top of the WAterlox. So add stain to the Waterlox to get the color you want. And when you're ready, just clean it up and add more Waterlox or poly. No sanding required unless the floors got real beat up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:04 am 
New User

Gary,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I am going to give the waterlox a try today. It is nice to know that I can finish the first step and poly later if I need to. Thanks, you have been very helpfull.

Bryan