Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soft Spot repair
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:16 pm 
New User

I have a "soft spot" under a couple of planks of engineered bamboo flooring installed in a new highrise building. Apparently due to uneven, or low spot, in subfloor (post tension concrete slab) that was not leveled completely prior to flooring install. Installer is recommending drilling a small hole through flooring material and injecting expoxy material under flooring to fill the low spot and provide support to the flooring. They will then fill the drill hole with wood putty. Does this sound like a legitimate repair or should I request an alternative or re-installing the flooring?
Thanks for your input and advise,
Gary Gam

Post subject: Soft Spot in my Engineering Oak wood floor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:56 pm 
New User

Hello.
I created an account first without reading this post. I have the same exact question. What is advisable? I just had oak engineering hardwood flooring installed about a month ago. I live in the first floor condo and the base is concrete. In one spot the wood is sagging and has a soft spot. My first thoughts were, the installers didn't put the padding down in that area. I doubt it...but what can cause a particular spot to become a soft spot? other than the concrete not being level? Or can that be the only reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:24 pm 
Valued Contributor

Gary,
They are correcting the problem properly.

The DryTac system works great: They have two systems, one for solids and one for Engineered.
Link to DriTac Solid Wood Repair:
http://www.dritac.com/Product/SWF/SWFPress.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

There are a few companies making the injection kits. ProJection is about the best, for a gluedown floor.

A floating floor, like the second posts suggest his/hers is, with the use of padding. DO NOT INJECT A FLOATING FLOOR. That is a disassembly, and fix it, job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:10 am 
Newbie Contributor

Our maple floor is glued to concrete. Our flooring installer repaired 4 spots with this injection method and it has worked nicely. He said to be sure to stay off the areas for 24 hours until it dries. The last time he was here he taught my husband how to do it and left him with the repair kit in case it happens again. My husband was able to do an additional area without a problem. I'm very relieved because I thought these bouncy spots would require expensive repair.

Post subject: soft spot repair
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:55 am 
New User

Thanks for the input. The engineered bamboo flooring is floating, not glued down. Does that pose a problem for injecting epoxy material? Seems like it has the potential to prevent that section of flooring from moving along with the rest of the floor as designed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:36 pm 
Valued Contributor

I thinkFloorguy answered this question.
The floor must be lifted, the sub-floor repaired to bring into flatness requirements, and the flooring Re-Installed.

Post subject: Soft Spot
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:39 pm 
New User

Hi,

Thanks for your input regarding the engineering hardwood. I have this on top of padding, on top of cement. It was posted in this thread that my problem is a disassemble and fix it job. What if I don't fix it? Is it okay if I just have a soft spot? It is right in front of my couch where our feet rest on the floor when sitting.

Is this soft spot a result from being installed incorrectly? Or is this unavoidable?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:08 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is from not meeting substrate requirements. If the floor comes apart and separates, which it most likely will one day, don't call the manufacturer and say you think you have defective floor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:44 am 
New User

Oh, I don't believe I have a deflective floor. I'm just looking to see if there is anything else I could do rather than tear it all apart. If need be, I will do it though. Could it be an air pocket?

When I do dissassemble, how do I correct this? You mention that the specifications weren't met. What would my next step be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

yes, there is an air pocket under the wood because the sub-floor has a low spot in it.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:57 am 
New User

I will admit at this time...if no one figured it out before...I am a female and know absolutely nothing about hardwood floors. I'm learning though! My fiance knows nothing about them either. This absolutely has been a learning experience.

The soft spot is only in one area about 2' x 2'. If I leave it alone...could my floor become damaged?

How can I correct this, after disassembling the floor? Put extra padding in that area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:10 pm 
Prized Contributor

Anything that provides support. Cardboard, felt, cut up shoeboxes, newspaper, shingles, believe it or not, even dirt or sand, as gravity will keep it in the low spot. Anything with mass, that is not squishy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

Please don't use dirt or sand as it moves.
whatever you use, make sure you fasten it to the floor.
I've inspected failures where the leveling material used moved and caused other problems, like sand coming out along the walls...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

It doesn't need to be fastened to the floor. Gravity keeps it in place. You not walking directly on it, it is under the floor for support. It ain't going to move.

Sand and dirt might move, but only to self level itself. If you have enough movement to cause a bellows effect, and move the support, you needed more to completely fill the hole in the first place..