Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: solid or engineered wood floors in bedroom???
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:13 am 
Going to put hardwood flooring in 1 bedroom. Now has carpeting over plywood. Below that is dry basement. Humidity regularily goes from a high of 65% in the summer to 30% in winter. We have Shaw veneered engineered flooring in the hallway and living-room right next to the bedroom. It definitely expands in the higher humidity, retracts in the winter. I would like to use solid 3/4" thick wood, something which is very stable such as Santos Mahogany or if the wife doesn't like that then an engineered flooring from either Mirage or one of the better brands.
Do I have other options in solid wood if I stay with the narrower strips.
Install will be nail-down.

thanks

mr bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Bill:

From an aesthetic point of view I've never favored completely different types of hardwoods in a home. Or better put--an engineered product against(connecting to) a solid one. I'd suggest going with the same in the master bedroom--but that's only my opinion.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

I agree with Ken.

Looks just like different color carpets in each room, would.

Is the basement, a living area that has climate control?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:21 am 
The hallway-living-room wood is a light, unstained red oak which has yellowed slightly over the first year of it's install. The cellar is unheated, runs from a low of 55F in the winter to 68F in the summer. There is foil backed insulation up between the 1st floor joists (foil side toward 1st floor.) The main floor is climate controlled via heat-pump, for heating and cooling. This is a ranch house.

Right now the 2 bedrooms have grey carpeting. I see your point of view of changing wood types and colors. I personally would like a different wood in the bedroom and my wife originally picked out a tiette rosewood. We then considered a rustic birch since we don't like homogenous wood floors. It would be definitely darker but not nearly as dark as santos mahogany. I was worried about wood stability since our humidity range seems to be beyond the usual 30 to 55% range.