Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solid hardwood floor in San Diego?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:44 pm 
New User

Hello everyone,

We're in San Diego and would like to install solid hardwood flooring in our new house (currently in construction and will be completed around October).

Several people have told me that solid hardwood flooring is not recommended in San Diego's climate (big temperatures between day and night), but we really like solid wood... Do you guys see concerns/issues?

Also, we like Brazilian Teak a lot, and Lumber Liquidators seems to have a pretty good deal ($5.79 for 3/4 inch thick solid). I've heard tons of bad words about LL; just wondering, what do you think?

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Solid hardwood floor in San Diego?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:05 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I'm no hardwood flooring expert, but adverse climate in San Diego with wild temperature swings? Come on, where are you from?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

California (and especially Southern)generally has the perfect climate for solid or engineered hardwood floors: it's dry here. This changes once you are doing a project right on the shore, within 100' feet of the beach. I don't know what Brazilian Teak is, but I know that Brazilian Walnut and Cherry are fairly stable species, though I am not certain and don't remember now. You can find out online regarding stability and hardness, just enter "stability" and "brazilian whatever" and you should find out. Teak would be something you chose because you have high moisture. They build wharfs with teak, and boats me thinks.
Lumber Liquidators: a racquet, just like any big company these days. Don't blame them. It's what people asked for. I used to know the brother (Sam) of the guy who founded it years ago and dealt with him a lot. He's probably living in Bali now, different company.
Pay with Amex or any other credit card and you will be protected. The milling can be sub spec with Lumber Liquidators, so you will end up with more gaps, since the boards are not milled to the exact same width or have not been dried properly prior to milling. This can be a nightmare, especially over concrete. Ask about that, especially if it is an odd lot or special deal item.
They are not cheap, and are not a better value. Check with your contractor and he may be able to get the same wood from his, trusted and tested source, for the same $$$.
Solid hardwood floors are a better bet in long term value. A 3/4" solid HWF will last 100-150 years properly cared for. It will be a custom tailored piece to your house, and will have much more depth and character than any engineered or prefinished whatever offers. Then off course, you are probably looking at prefinished solid wood at LL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

Matthias wrote:
I used to know the brother (Sam) of the guy who founded it years ago and dealt with him a lot. He's probably living in Bali now, different company.

Sam lives in Long Beach. Starting another similar company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 am 
Prized Contributor

I think the only way anyone would have severe problems is when the temperature swings coincide with large Rh swings and is not acclimated properly. Just my theory. :wink:

But then do lots of homes there have continuosly running HVAC systems? I'd guess not. So in some instances installing right outa the box like some manufacturers suggest would not be advisable since the ambient zone is not controlled.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The only caveat would be if your house is at the bottom of a hill, or on that hill. When it rains in SoCal, the soil is not able to absorb the rain, and it will pool in places. This can be a problem if the water pools underneath your house. Not with a raised foundation that much, but with concrete very much so. A solid floor will be able to absorb more moisture than engineered in extreme moisture exposure situations, such as flooding or spills, without causing disastrous consequences. On the other hand, with moderate moisture swings, the engineered stuff won't expand and contract as much as a solid floor and is therefore a better choice. In San Diego, your only moisture concern is if caused by extreme rain, not from average weather. Nonetheless, you should make sure you properly seal the subfloor and use appropriate glue if it is a on grade concrete house foundation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:54 pm 
New User

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.

I wonder... if anyone happens to know an experienced hardwood installer in San Diego?

I've talked with several installers, and got the impression that the majority of their clients install engineered wood floor (one of them told me that less than 10% of his clients install solid wood). I hope to find someone who's very experienced in installing solid hardwood flooring.

Thank you very much!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

I guess we shoulda first asked about your substrate lol Your going to have to pay alot extra for solid on concrete like for installing a plywood subfloor.

If you have concrete absolutely go engineered. Also grading, runoff from the roof, issues like Matthias said is extremely important.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I started my wood flooring business a few years back in Sand Diego. The weather is just fine for solid wood floors. However, if you have a concrete subfloor, then you want to use glued down engineered wood. The thicker the top wear layer the better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

Under the right conditions have installed many plywood subfloors over concrete & 3/4 solid in So.Cal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:37 pm 
New User

Please tell me you did not buy the Brazilian Teak from LL. You will be so sorry. If you did then you know what I'm talking about. My neighbor just bought this stuff and its complete junk. He has been fighting with the store to take it back ever since. He is the nicest guy in the world and the store is treating him like garbage. The whole neighborhood feels so sorry for him as he just moved in. I'm actually going to try to get my friend who works for the local news to do report. Apparently the store is refusing to take the material back. The issue is that all the boards have sever differences in the width and his installers cant put it in. Each day we come over to the house to check on the progress. He gives us updates but he says the store is making the situation a nightmare. I guess he is talking to corporate now. I could not resist when i saw this post. Hope its not too late for you! I can't imagine LL being in business much longer if they treat good people like this...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

Just completed a Braz. Golden Teak job from LL, ( gluedown 3/8 x3). The stuff was a total nightmare, and I've installed thousands of feet of the stuff, lousy quality, but nothing like this material.

LL subs out it's milling to various small mills around the country, no quality control, you never know what your getting. If you look at the tag on the end of the box in the upper right corner there will be 2 initials, that's the mill they subbed too. This particular batch was "VR". The folks want more of the same wood down in other areas, if LL sends the same wood, I wont accept the order. My heart goes out to your neighbors...their a nightmare to deal with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
Just completed a Braz. Golden Teak job from LL, ( gluedown 3/8 x3). The stuff was a total nightmare, and I've installed thousands of feet of the stuff, lousy quality, but nothing like this material.

Beem there too Howard. Bet you had to strap it. The one I did had been sitting around for over a year. Maybe that helped :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:01 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Floorologist wrote:

Beem there too Howard. Bet you had to strap it. The one I did had been sitting around for over a year. Maybe that helped :mrgreen:

Yea, Sitting around for a year is special. These boxes had a manuf. date 9 months ago, and the boxes we're all faded and bleached like they had baked in the sun.

I never strapped a floor so much in my life ! :cry: Those suckers are STRONG :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Can you paleeeeease use speeeeel checker when you quote me? LOL

Profile E-mail