Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/4 solid vs 3/8 inch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:48 pm 
New User

We have lived with 3/4 solid cherry, 5", plainsawn, in two parts of NY State. We love our floors and so does every guest, and we are debating using the same or trying something new. The folks at Launstein have moved from 3/4 to 3/8, and I believe they indicate they did so because 3/4 is not needed. So, my first question, hoping to hear from someone who has moved from 3/4 to 3/8 and likes or dislikes the decision and why.

My second question has to do with the use of gyp-crete (wet system), compared to a dry system, like, "Warmboard". Anyone have experience with both?

Merk

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:16 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

With a 3/8" solid, there will be less wood before the t&g than with a 3/4" or 1/2". The only reason to select a 3/8", IMO, is for cost savings and/or for a lower profile (thinner) floor. I'm not a fan. Launstein also recommends gluing and nailing whereas with a 3/4" or 1/2", you could nail only. Quite a time saver. Right now, I am contracted to install a 5/8" engineered floor over WarmBoard. We have chosen to install a 3/4" CDX plywood underlayment over the WarmBoard as a nailing base. This allows me to run the flooring any direction I need without having to be concerned about the tubing. The WarmBoard is a hassle to install over due to the tubes on the surface. I have installed 3/4" over slab style radiant where 2x4 sleepers were layed as a nailing base. I liked that better from an installation ease perspective. Many of the radiant panel makers recommend a floating floor and I think that makes the most sense. Much faster install, no worry about nailing into tubes and a better vapor barrier system. If you need to go with radiant heat, I'd seriously consider one of the better floating floor systems over gluing or nailing. The only reason I'm nailing is because this is what the builder and customer insist on as they do not want a floating floor.