Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/4" Solid over Radiant Heat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:05 pm 
New User

I have consumer that is specifying 3/4" solid prefinished maple over radiant heat using the Sika bond system. Part of this job is on grade and part is below grade over radiant heat. We have informed them that solid will not be warranted in this application. Another flooring contractor has bid the same job with a product called "castle plank" which they claim is solid wood and is warranted over radiant heat with this application. Has anyone heard of this product or similar solid product that is warranted over radiant heat?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:27 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The only product I know of that is called castle plank and is a solid is from a company called Chelsea plank flooring. Its hickory and it cannot be glued, they only warranty it installed on ¾ plywood if it is over concrete. They warrantee it over radiant but it has an acclimation process that must be followed. Other than that there is Bruce’s new castle plank but that is birch and an engineered if I recall correctly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:38 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I just saw this product; I thought it was here, but maybe not. I think that is an Anderson product; the one I saw was a 3/4 inch thick, 5" wide solid. If I did solid, on a radiant heat, I would stick to Junckers, and their clip system.

Disregard what I said avbout the Anderson. Thats not the one you want. I just checked, and I was wrong about that product, I came up with the same info as KLS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

Greg, this is one of the jobs, that it is OK to lose!!!

I never lost money, on a job I didn't do.

From what you described, this is a failure waiting to happen. This will damage your reputation and back pocket. Better to walk away and explain to the client, that you do not wish to put all your time and reputation on the line, just for some money. Let them know when it fails, they know how to reach you for an honest and knowledgeable evaluation.