Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solid prefinish wood with borders?
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:04 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I have a client that would like to install prefinished solid nail down Brazilian Cherry with borders and a ligter color border inside ( red oak border or maple about 2 inches wide) It is a new house, high end job. Would you agree on doing such a project?
I know unfinished wood is the way to go.
How would you install prefinished floor?
How about the last board? It is not going to have a bevel. How would you fix that?

If you have done work like this please send me the pictures and any advices.

RAF.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:13 am 
Prized Contributor

I would do that in a heartbeat, but you have to be extremely careful to avoid chipping the finish and using minimal filler.

http://www.custom-surfaces.com/30.html

I love jobs like this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:01 am 
Worthy Contributor

In your pictures (BTW I love your website), is that a regular circular saw you are using? If so, where did you get that track or whatever it is that guides your saw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:20 am 
Prized Contributor

That track, saw and router system is made by Festool. It is the bee's knee's!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:36 am 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks. It seems like an awesome tool system to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:37 am 
Prized Contributor

Thank you rbose. It is Festool, both the panel saw and router are plunge cuts so you can start anywhere. It is invaluable to me working with a pre-finished wood or a plastic laminate floor. I don't get enough jobs like that, I only had 3 last year, and none so far this year.

Before I was cutting every piece and using back-up boards. I thought that was working pretty well....wrong... the Festool is far more accurate and it will not chip the finish. Chuck is the one who convinced me that cutting on the floor is the best method.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:33 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Quote:
plastic laminate floor

I like that name I think I will start using it, but I think I will just shorten it to plastic floors.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:22 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Jerry wrote:
Thank you rbose. It is Festool, both the panel saw and router are plunge cuts so you can start anywhere. It is invaluable to me working with a pre-finished wood or a plastic laminate floor. I don't get enough jobs like that, I only had 3 last year, and none so far this year.

Before I was cutting every piece and using back-up boards. I thought that was working pretty well....wrong... the Festool is far more accurate and it will not chip the finish. Chuck is the one who convinced me that cutting on the floor is the best method.

I've considered cutting on the floor, but have always worried about the accuracy of the cuts. Your Festoon rig is truly nice.

In a certain sense I don't understand why you wouldn't get more jobs like that, but in terms of reality, I can see it. My wife wants me to put the floor down and be done with it, whereas I want to do borders and possibly inlays. There's always that struggle between time/money/artistic quality. For most middle class people, usually the time/money wins out. It's too bad really, considering the sense of wonder and satisfaction one gets when looking at this type of relatively unqie floor art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

The high end homes being built incorporate borders alot. But most if not all will be a site-finished job. Mrafalek was asking about pre-finished and I know why he asked. In my opinion it is alot more difficult installing a pre-finished bordered floor. The aggravation factor alone is why most installers don't want to fool with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:24 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Jerry wrote:
The high end homes being built incorporate borders alot. But most if not all will be a site-finished job. Mrafalek was asking about pre-finished and I know why he asked. In my opinion it is alot more difficult installing a pre-finished bordered floor. The aggravation factor alone is why most installers don't want to fool with it.

Now you tell me :)

I'm about 1/3 of the way into my first install, which is a prefinished engineered with a border. The good news is it's going well. Time consuming, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:35 am 
Newbie Contributor

Jerry,

I am truely amazed by your work and your website. Good stuff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:40 am 
Prized Contributor

Thank you KG. I am confident that there are several contributers on here that do this kind of custom work. We enjoy challenging installations.

Mrafalek, as far as tips I will offer any help I can. The main focus is all the sanding and filling is done underneath when you are doing pre-finished. Anywhere that a border is going I make certain the substrate is almost mirror flat and stiff. There is no way to fix something like overwood or chipped finish from the top. And you can't use any fillers like you can on a sand-on-site floor.

You do not have to use the Festool system, but having done this both ways, I can tell you from my minimal experience that cutting on the floor is the best method. You won't need any fillers this way and all the boards fit good and tight, almost like factory cuts. You can use a urethane adhesive underneath the boards you don't want to face nail. I use brads or clamps to hold everything tight until the adhesive sets up.

And Dave, just hang in there, you'll make it. It just takes patience. :D

Profile E-mail