Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some issues after hardwood installation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:44 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi, Based on all the help I got here, I installed hardwood over the last weekend. I have not finished it yet but am gonna do it over the next weekend. Have a few questions. Would appreciate any insights:

i. I have a slight gap between two rows where the two strips did not fit properly. The gap may be 1mmX 8". What is better to cover it - the Bruce acrylic filler or wood putty?

ii. I got unfinished quarter rounds and have stained them before installing. I figured it would be easier this way than staining it after it was installed. The question is about wood putty. I have two types. One from Bruce that is of one standard color for all hardwood. The other is the stainable one. I tried the Bruce one on a few holes and the color does not really match that of the hardwood. So I am thinking of using the stainable one. To use that, can I mix putty with a little stain and then use the mix?

iii. I think I would have to use the finish nailer over atleast 6 rows near the wall as there would no space to swing the hammer for the floor nailer. Can I set the pressure to much higher than 90, say 120, and then gently tap the floor nailer using some other thing than requiring to hit it with the hammer? Would that work?

Thanks a lot.....

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

You can buy a couple of colors of Color Putty and match any color there is. It is not as esy to use as the Bruce acrylic,but you can change shades to an infinite degree.

I assume this is a prefinished floor. If you are thinking of using something like plastic wood or some other solvent based putty,DON'T DO IT! Those types of putty will attack the finish.