Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Splitting/splintering on length edge of new Hardwood
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:49 am 
New User

:( Hi there,

I just finished reading another post on Splitting/Splintering and decided to ask a few questions here.

I just had the entire first floor, stairs and upstairs hallway installed with Columbia Carollton White Oak flooring. It is a prefinished, honey colored product. I love my floors, but after vacuuming and sweeping up all the dust, I noticed about 80 boards which have cracks in the finish along the edges. Each crack is slightly raised and catches when you slide a socked foot over top. The splinter has not broken off, but is visable due to the sheen of the flooring.

I had the hardwood contractor look at it and he thinks this is normal. He doesn't feel that it hurts the integrity of the floor and is cosmetic only. I am a really picky person and cosmetic means a lot. I feel that it was caused by improper nailing since it is on the nailed side of the board adn I am worried that it will lift up and split off in time.

I have approximately 80 boards like this and although he is willing to take the boards out and reinstall (i.e. glue) new ones in, I am hesitant to do this. He would just pull the individual boards out. Some are in areas that will be covered by an area rug, but I will always know the defect beneath.

I have contacted an independent inspector and must wait a week for further information. I have the Columbia sales rep coming out today.

Does anyone have recommendations? Should I live with it, have each broken board torn out and glued or demand the entire floor be redone.

I am really concerned about the ripping out and gluing. Does this affect the floors stabillity and will it cause issues later? Any experience/info would be appreciated.

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:36 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Since it is on the nailed side of the boards, it may be due to hitting the side of the boards too hard while installing or not having the nailer shoe adjusted properly. Either way, I am sure it wasn't made this way and it is installer error. Be patient and wait for the report from the inspector and factory rep. Eighty boards are alot to replace unless it was all in one area. I suspect it is throughout the floor. To me, it sounds like the installer was careless. You are not supposed to damage the flooring while installing it. If the amount of boards is one fourth of the floor area or more, it may be better to replace the entire floor. I would wait for your inspector's opinion and report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:55 pm 
New User

Update!

The sales rep confirms that it is installation error. My Flooring contractor is willing to replace the boards and it is now up to me to decide how many to replace.

The eighty boards are split to about 20 per room... dining room, living room and family room with the remaining 20 in the foyer, kitchen and hall. The are scattered throughout. I doubt that is 1/4 of the floor, since the entire areas was 1500 sq. feet, but I will measure and see.

I am still concerned about the replacement. Would you postpone the replacement until the independent inspector comes or should I just cancel the independent inspector. Will he provide additional info?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:38 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Wait for the inspector and pose all your questions to him as he is the one who is there and can see what is going on.