Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Square buffer vs. Rotary buffer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:50 pm 
New User

For removing subtle chatter marks left by a SilverLine drum sander, what are the pros and cons of using a square style orbital buffer vs. a rotary buffer? Also, is a square buff sander the same thing as a "hard plate" sander?
Thanks.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:50 pm 
Worthy Contributor

A buffer, drives a screen in a circular motion, but has a bit of a learning curve. You wouldn't want to run one for the first time in a tight area. A square pad is a good diy'er choice, is easy to operate, and does a good job, but may not be the best choice is your staining, as it can leave little squiggly marks, due to the nature of the machine. Our local OSH store rents a multi head type sander, like a trio or super bee, which is a sweet machine, but yo may not have access to one. A 'hard plate" is a driver for a buffer, minus the driver pad. I made mine, and use double sided paper discs. But again, a buffer takes some practice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:38 am 
Newbie Contributor

Orchard Supply Hardware,OSH, rents a three headed sander called the Varathane EZV. If there's no OSH around you might contact Varathane for the nearest rental agency. They're nice machines if you'e not removing much wood.

Post subject: square buff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:47 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have both the square and circular. I bought the square when i started. I was told its the way to go. Its easier to use, doesnt pull when using, and its good for the guy that never buffed before. It doesnt take a lot off of the floor to take out the sanding lines from the drum. We go higher in grits with the drum before buffing if we know we are going to use this buffer. We usually use the circular buffer. It takes more off and gives a better , smoother surface, watching out for swirls of course. The square does leave small swirls if you run to fast. The buffer is mooving faster than the pad is buffing and leaves little circles. Also you have the threat of getting something in the square paper or screen that can cause a swirl as well where the circular will throw it out to the side.
The square is definatly good for getting into corners but you can also use the circular buff then hand sand the corners. You probably are already doing that when you scrape anyway.
Some say the square buff was made for the rental stores. I thnk im going to get rid of mine, Its just taking up space now.

Tony

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:34 pm 
New User

Thanks for the information. I ended up renting a square buffer, as it was the only thing I really had access to. It took quite a while to do 800 sq ft with it, using 80 grit screen followed by 100 grit, but it did make a great deal of difference in removing the drum marks and making the floor very smooth. I would be interested in knowing how an Ez-V sander or other multi head sander compares to a square buffer in terms of its speed of removing material, or how much faster I might have been able to get the job done using a rotary sander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:57 am 
Worthy Contributor

EZ Vee can be rented at a lowes or depot as well

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:59 am 
Worthy Contributor

HEY TONY!! keep that square buff for fine sanding harringbone and parquet...
Theyre real handy too for recoats on particularly nasty floors.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: square buff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ok, I will. Thanks

Profile E-mail