Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stained & Confused
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm 
New User

Looking to Refinish a White Oak Floor. Last finish was applied 16 years ago and was a waste of money. I know it was a water based Polyurethane product but I do not remember the brand. It did not hold up well and diet coke spills did a good job of removing the finish!

I've reached out to two different contractors to re-finish the floors and make necessary repairs. We had a dog until recently and she left many urine stains under our area rugs! Both contractors told me that the stains run deep and that they'll have to replace large sections of the hardwood flooring.

One contractor wants to use Bona Traffic and the other wants to use Lenmar oil based polyurethane. I also plan to have a golden oak stain applied this time to give the floors some more color.

I want a semi-gloss finish that will hold up to spills and normal traffic. The dog is no longer and we are not getting another one. Which is the best solution for me?
Thanks in Advance,
Stained & Confused!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Stained & Confused
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:26 am 
Prized Contributor

Some of the staining will be removed by sanding if it did not stay wet for very long.
I recommend a little darker stain than golden to help mask the stains, more brown.
I like special walnut, which has a warmer look, thinned with some neutral oil, if too dark, maybe one- half neutral, not paint thinner, to lighten it up some. Neutral can help keep the stains lighter, if applied before the thinned special walnut mix.
If you need to replace large sections, I would advise that some of the wood have close grain like what comes with straight-grain and quarter-sawn flooring"rift-sawn" because the newer wood flooring has a coarser look with the wide growth rings. Most of the cost will be in labor vs. materials, but older floors have closer growth rings. Check the sub-floor to make sure it is dry, if the stains are dark, before patching.
Traffic HD is one of the best wearing finishes. It doesn't smell as strongly as solvent based finishes.

Profile E-mail