Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: stained the stair skirt along with the stairs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 am 
New User

is it acceptable to stain the skirt along with the stairs? I just had hardwoods installed and the stairs were refinished to match the newly installed floors. The problem (or is it?) is that along with staining the stairs, the skirt is also substantially stained. My contractor says it's my responsibility to clean up the mess. I just can't believe it is acceptable to leave the stairs that sloppy. Are my expectations set unreasonably high?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:44 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Clarify please. Were these skirt boards unfinished and to be finished later by someone other than the flooring contractor? Are they painted? What do they look like now? FYI, when staining a staircase, it is nearly impossible not to get a little stain on skirts, stringers, risers, etc. If those surfaces have already been painted, the stain will often wipe right off. Masking them off doesn't typically help. Cutting in with a brush is fine but the problem lies with wiping the excess off. One usually gets stain on the other surfaces when wiping off. This should have been discussed prior to the work being done. If you had hired me, I would have informed you that I'll do my best NOT to get stain and finish on those other surfaces but I could not promise not to get ANY on them. And if I did, then we would discuss who would be responsible for removing the excess stain. If the customer wanted me to be responsible for that, it would effect how much my price would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:21 pm 
New User

The boards were painted off-white. The stairs originally had carpet till the last 3 steps. We removed the carpeting and refinished the entire staircase with the goal of having just a runner. We spoke about whether to paint the risers off-white as well or to stain them and we decided to just paint them when the floors were done. I'll attach pictures of what the skirt boards look like. It seems excessive to me.

We didn't specifically speak about painting the skirt board and I expected some staining but what I'm left with seems sloppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:42 pm 
New User

ImageImageImage

excessive or am I just nit-picking? We've been having so many problems with our contractor that now I'm not sure of what to expect anymore. Thanks for your thoughts and for your advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

That is often what the surrounding surfaces look like after the steps/treads have been refinished. Could he have been more careful? Perhaps but consider this. Your risers need painting anyway. Maybe he figured you planned on getting everything repainted. At any rate, perhaps he would be willing to split the cost of repainting with you, since neither of you came to an understanding over this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:25 pm 
New User

Quote:
Your risers need painting anyway. Maybe he figured you planned on getting everything repainted.

My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
At any rate, perhaps he would be willing to split the cost of repainting with you, since neither of you came to an understanding over this.

Fair enough. Thanks for your insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

Now, when you tape off the finished treads, what is going to happen to the finish, when you pull the tape off the treads???

Be very careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:48 pm 
New User

so, any advice as to what type of tape to use so as not to rip the finish off my newly refinished treads????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:34 am 
Worthy Contributor

3M tape #2080 for delicate surfaces. Just be careful not to use a lot of pressure. Leave it on only as long as you need it, and when you remove it, don'd pull it straight up; peel it back at a 45 degree angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:11 am 
New User

:D thanks for the tip. we're cleaning up and painting the steps this weekend. Hopefully the steps will survive my painting.