Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Staining Bamboo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:55 pm 
New User

Has anyone had problems staining bamboo. I have heard water pop it and your good to go. then there are those that say wouldnt do it in a million years. My test samples say go for it just do your hand work on the ends and screen it really well to blend in the ends as well. I guess its on the lines of maple when it comes to staining it . It can be done but do it right or it will show badly.
Any expeiences with trying to stain bamboo would be great to hear from you. Thanks Rich

Post subject: Seen the first persons atempt at staining Bamboo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:42 pm 
New User

It was not pretty. The owners went with low bid and got what they paid for. Inexperienced lack of caring results. I can see why they called another person to try this the second time.
Anywhere the sander went would pass. there was slight chatter but with the hard spots in the bamboo no one would be able to tell. The ends were not featherd in very well and stop marks were here and there and showed something fierce. Edger / spinner marks ( for those of us whom are old enough to remeber when we called the edger that ) showed just like they do on maple. I am sure that they were not easy to see untill you stained but if they did there hand work then blended the ends in with the orbital and screened the floor I am sure there would be no problem for it looks like the stain penetrated pretty well. They had only goten to that stage no finish aplied yet.
I tested a spot on the ends and the finish will not help hide the poor workmanship so the owner has these guys sanding the floor again and I am going to come in and do the hand work on to the finish.
I am not really comfortable with this deal for if there are any areas that need special attention I might not catch it untill I am in the staining process. Guess I will have to take my time with this one and maybe ask the floor gods for there blessings.
I will let you know how it goes at the end of the week , I start tuesday , so any experiences good or bad with staining this stuff would still be great to hear.
Thanks Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 am 
Prized Contributor

I'd have some big clauses in that contract!!! They are going to resand, and your going to finish?? Maybe not, but I see red flags flying.

I bet money your fixing their work anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:26 am 
Worthy Contributor

I am scared for you as well. I hope it goes well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:54 am 
Prized Contributor

Rich, if the guys can't get it sanded right the first time around what makes the homeowner think they will get better results the second time ... I'm sure you are thinking the same thing.

Can you convey that to the homeowner so they will understand?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks For the concerns but..........................
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:06 am 
New User

I am taking over from the handwork on. I screen it waterpop it ( which was not done first time and I beleive makes all the difference in the world) etc. Bamboo sands like chesse so the sand job on it wasnt to hard to get right. My supplier says they see no reason you cant stain bamboo so today is the day we find out.
As for red flags , you bet all over this job but the way work is right now , at least in California one takes what one can get or the family may go hungry. I dont care how good you are you can still go hungry out here. I am not to that point but i see it maybe coming sooner than later so I am taking almost all work to get ready as possible.
Anyhow theres my reasons Ill let you know the results.
Thanks again Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:10 am 
New User

All went well . There sand job left alot to be desired but nothing a beffer and screen couldnt fix. The handwork was alot of fun, can you beleive someone used 36 grit paper on bamboo. Needless to say they sanded the life out of the floor and it may end up walking ( coming loose ) way before its time but I made it look good for the customer and that was the goal. I also ended up with a new client which is what I was hoping to do.
Yes I got lucky for sure , I am the first to admit that. It really could have gone bad in so many ways so easy.
I will be going back to put a final coat on the floor soon I will take pics and post them. It is a very interesting looking floor to say the least.
Picture this if you can. Water poped Bamboo stained 5 parts mahogany red 1 part cherry , a pretty dark floor for sure. Havagd1all Rich