Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stair Help
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:21 am 
New User

Hi,
I am new to forum and good to see tons of useful information. I plan to install hardwood on my stair after removing the carpet.

I need the stair guys expertise advice on how to overcome my stair issue.

1) The tread is cupped. I believe its construction grade pin of sort. The stair is very squeeky and you can feel the tread move as you climb. What is the best solution to remedy this ? Would installing a full tread resolve the noise ? what about the cupping, if i fill with PL glue..would that help ?

2) How do i resolve the difference in riser height as i will be installing the 1" thick treads directly over the existing one ?

3) I would really like to to cut the stringer and exposed the treads on the right side of this stair to get a side return look...but i guess that would make the whole stair structurally unsound due to its box/mortised tread design...correct ?

4) where should i look to buy treads in NJ ? HD has pine for $10 a piece. One mill shop quoted me $8.50 /LF for maple. Still contemplating whether to use pine/oak/maple. Maple because the flooring will be engineering select maple. Oak because i could stain it mahogony with white riser...should contrast good with maple floor. And pine because its cheep and just apply coats of poly. BTW, I am on tight budget.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:31 am 
Worthy Contributor

Here's my best in order.

1. Sand the cupping out. Learn to appreciate the built in alarm system you have in your creaking wood stairs... it adds a bit of character. These staircases can be notorious for noise IMHO. Unless you find a contractor to completely rebuilt and guarantee a noiseless staircase, you need to become accustomed to the character of an older home.

2. Not sure if that is the best idea. If you are replacing carpeted stairs the carpet and pad thickness is about 3/4" so there is little difference. If you are replacing treads on a wooden staircase you should probably consider removing and replacing the treads.

3. This will depend upon how your staircase is specifically built. There are many ways the staircases can be constructed.

4. No idea, I am in WA.

GL... :)

Profile E-mail