Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stair Questions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:21 pm 
New User

I am a DIYer, and I am finishing up installing 1800 sf of Brazilian Cherry (3/4 in nailed). This was my first project, but I went real slow and it came out great. With my new knowledge, I helped put a friends floor in (3/4 in gunstock oak). I have not done my steps yet or his steps yet. I convinced him to be the guinea pig so we will do his first. We both have the same kind of staircases. They are closed on both sides (I think the terminology is boxed) with a mortised skirt, and solid pine risers and treads. I have gone through the stair directions on the web site, and I plan to do it exactly as shown. I plan on using nosing and strip for the treads. Here are my questions.

1) He wants to paint his risers. I was thinking of ripping these from 4'x8' by 3/4" sheets of hardwood furniture grade plywood. Is this the right choice for material? This runs about 40 dollars a sheet at the big box store. Is there a better recommendation? Should he just use solid risers? Will this look good?

2) What brand of urethane glue is good?

3) We are using 3 1/4 in strip. Would it be worth it to build up the treads by gluing and clamping two strips together ahead of time into a large plank, and then, when dry, cut them to fit?

4) With a mortised skirt staircase, is there a way to use full treads instead of strip/plank flooring? If so, how is it done?

Thanks, I will probably have more questions as we get started. I hope these made sense.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

1- For painted risers poplar is often used as it takes paint better than others.
2- Bostiks. They also have several different types that fit caulk guns.
3- Never thought of that, but what happens when they're glued and suddenly a few don't want to lay flat?
4- I've done it. Installed over the top.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail