Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: stair tread refinishing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:33 pm 
Hi. I have oak stair treads that once had carpet and padding stapled to them. What is the best way to prepare these babies for a nice finish? Is there anyway to remove or clean up the black staple hole marks? Should I sand away or look toward an alternative stripping solution? I also have to detail around the baulasters which will not be refinished.

Thanks,
Troy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

What color are you going for? If you plan to go natural,the stains will remain noticeable. The darker you go,the more you can get away with.

A scraper is faster than a sander around ballusters and such. You will still want a detail sander for the tight spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:58 pm 
Do I simply use a standard paint-type scrapper? What is the best tool for this job that I can buy at Home Depot or Menards. Scraping also sounds less messy than sanding. I'm going for a shade darker than natural - more like a honey oak or butterscotch. Any way to bleach the staple holes or anything like that?

After scrapping, should I simply sand with coarse sandpaper or try and smooth out with 220 prior to staining and top coating. I was thinking of using a one-step polyshade and do a couple coats until the color is dark enough.