Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stair treads..costs to install etc.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hey guys. Looking for information on costs associated with having prefinished treads versus unfinished treads installed and finished on site.

We all know some areas will have higher labor costs, so the more responses the better.

Looking for comparison time and labor cost guesstimates(12 standard 36" wide steps with riser) on the following:

1- Installing standard boxed in stairs. Prefinished treads.

2- Let's say the stairs are unfinished and someone needs to come in, stain then finish them. I'm referring to staining the same color of a prefinished floor.

Any other useful additions welcome.

Btw: Let's consider it a perfect world. Another words everything is perfect and ready to go...<rare/>

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:29 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Early in my installing career, I used to install the unfinished treads, then come back and stain and finish them in place. That does work but there are problems associated with doing it that way.

1) It is just physically harder to stain and finish them in place. Being all cramped over plus trying to do a good sanding job next to risers and stringers.
2) It takes longer because of the need to drive to the site every time a coat of finish needs to be applied.
3) The unfinished treads seem to get more beat up.
4) The overall quality of finishing is better if done at a shop.

So what I do now is buy unfinished treads, stain and finish them at my shop. Then transport them to the site to install. I may apply an additional coat after installation. My labor charge, not including the cost of the tread but including all finishing materials, is $125.00 ( finishing and installing ) per tread and riser.