Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stair treads over concrete
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am going to be looking at a condo job where the stairs are concrete, and the home owner wants solid treads. Anyone deal with this? Is it OK to glue them down?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Stair treads over concrete
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Hey Jeff, No problem run into it all the time, living in the concrete jungle. Dont have to tell you,( mc testing ,acclimation, urethane adh, all the norm ). It works out fine.
The only thing out here...All the concrete steps are katywompus in all directions,( and the nose is wavy and rounded,( I think it's beer 30 by the time the steps get finished), alway have to square um up. I take 1by pine facia and install on the risers. Cut the height exactly where I want it,( using a square on edge, on top of the tred, and taking measurements). Full spread the riser and butter the pine, use shims to square up the riser where ever needed. Shoot the facia on, or pound 1 1/2"concrete nails. Some guys will use patch on the tred. I would rather stay away from the moisture, and bonding bothers me. I'll float the tred with adhesive, let it set over night. Then full spread tread, & butter. The woods like part of the concrete, and that top edge of the facia makes a good solid foundation for the tred.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

That sounds like what I was thinking. One of the tread manufacturers said not to because of the moisture in the concrete, but I figured with the right full spread it would be fine. It's going to be expensive, 24 steps with 3 landings, and she's talking about new railings. I'll be able to take a nice vacation when it's over with the paycheck. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

That sounds like a sweat job, hope they do it. Yea, I can sure use a vacation, when it's busy there's no time, when it's slow I'm nervous and can't justify it.

The tred manufacturer doesn't sound like they know flooring, or had a bad experience due to who knows what.

Profile E-mail