Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: stairs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:30 pm 
Hi, I am installing solid treads on a staircase. The first section is open on both ends. The second section is open on one end. The job requires I cut and install returns on the ends of each tread. My question is; What is the best/easiest way to cut the 45 degree angle cut where the return meets the front of the tread. One stair guy I spoke with says use a skill saw. Is there a better way? Thanks!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

Solid treads that I have seen on open ended box steps, are routered to the same profile/lip as the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:50 pm 
Valued Contributor

Did you buy the return pieces with the treads? I have made steps that way. A good jigsaw will make that cut. It would be easier with a giant bandsaw,but it is not necessary. I know a good trim man that uses a skilsaw for that cut. I lack his profficiency. I use a jigsaw. You should ,at least ,bisquit join the return piece to the end of the tread.

I cut a slot and spline it. To each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:53 pm 
Perry and Chuck,
I offered the homeowner the option of having the end grain exposed and rounded over using a router but after looking at the choices, we decided a return with a jack miter would look best. Since I am using jatoba (brazilian cherry), the return pieces weren't available from my supplier (oak is) so I need to make them myself. I will be getting paid PLENTY extra to provide the end returns as opposed to rounding over the end grain. I've been on the finish carpentry forum of JLC and there are different methods in making this jack miter cut. So I guess I'll be experimenting on some scrap to see what works for me. Chuck, seems like the most common ways are using a jig saw or a skill saw. Using a router with a jig was also proposed, as was a band saw. Anyway, guess I'll find out what works for me. Thanks for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

Please post pictures when your done!

Do we have a picture option here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do we have a picture option here?

Not yet. I' believe there's an option but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:00 am 
How did Steve post his pics? You know, the guy who's maple floors are cupped in the "Yikes, I got a Problem" section. Great pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:50 am 
Valued Contributor

There is no upload feature on this site. Any photos you see are linked to another server. I know how to post pics on this site,but I ain't gonna explain how. Stealing bandwidth is still stealing. If you right click on the photos and hit"properties",you will be shown the server and its location.

.edu means a school server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:16 am 
Aww, C'mon Chuck, give it up! Tell us how to post pics on this site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Stealing bandwidth is still stealing

If it comes from another site place their website link and give them credit for it. I never had any problems doing that. You're giving them traffic. When you see a pic you'd like to show on the site, right click the mouise. As Chuck says it shows "properties" of that picture and the url. The url has to be "cut" or "copied" in it's entirety...It may start with "http://www. and end in horse.jpg" as an example.

To insert, use the Img above the message window. Click it twice and this will appear place the url between those img tags and you have it.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail