Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Staples or Cleats with MIIIFS ??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:11 pm 
New User

Hi, another quick question. I have a MIIIFS used from E-Bay and am going to install 5" plank Hickory 3/4" solid over new construction subfloor. I will snake some liquid nails on the bottom of the wood and then use the MIIIFS. Do I use 2" cleats or 2" staples? The Lowes in my area only has the 2" cleats, if staples are better where can I get them.

Thanks in Advance,

Charlie A

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Staples
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:19 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The "FS" at the end of the model name means floor stapler, you need 2" staples. Call some lumber yards of fastener stores that sell pneumatic tools. Floor supply store too of course..Make sure your subfloor is DRY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:39 am 
Valued Contributor

Charlie,

If you are unable to procure a box of staples,I will send you one. The S&H will be a bitch, though. :lol:

Try Home Depot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:59 am 
Newbie Contributor

You can order the staples from Amazon.com. They take about 3 days to get to you.
Danny

Post subject: Air requirements for the MIIIFS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:32 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have a question for those of you familiar with the MIIIFS...

This was the first air tool I have used that did not have the familiar 1/4" NPT air connection, it was 3/8". Since my hose quick-connect is 1/4", I bought a brass reducer and installed a 1/4" male quick-connector on the tool. In addition to the small hose and fittings, I have a fairly small 4 gallon compressor.

I set up and tested the tool last night, stapling 3/4" hard maple scraps into 5/8" plywood similar to my subfloor. I found that at 70 or 80 psi, the staples never got set flush, and at 90 psi, they mostly go flush but sometimes still need a little help. I'm worried that my 3/4" solid brazilian cherry will be even harder than the maple and I'll have a lot of poorly set fasteners.

Is it safe to crank my regulator up to 95 or 100 psi on this tool, and have others out there found this be necessary? Or is my small volume compressor and flow-restricting hose setup the problem?

I had assumed that air nailers have a chamber that once it gets pressurized, the punch should be full power regardless of how fast the compressor can refill it. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Garrett in San Diego

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:12 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Garret,
I have 1/4 inch fittings on all my air tools and on the Bostitch I run at 100 pounds and have had no problems. Sometimes I have to lower the pressure on certain woods so I don't destroy the tongue. My brother in law has a large flooring company and he has switched all his fittings to 3/8 inch and says they run better that way. I have the quarter inch only because the other tools came that way.
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:53 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Garrett,
I have run my nailers on both 1/4" and 3/8" and see no difference. With my professional compressor (an Emglo), I run the pressure at 80 lbs. and have no problems. You can run you M111FS at higher settings if needed. I suspect it is your compressor(maybe the air gauge) not working as well. Make sure you use TWO drops of BOSTITCH oil in your M111FS every 8 hrs of operation to keep the o-rings from drying out. Perhaps try a stronger copmpressor with more power, storage and a quicker recovery.