Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: staring a new business!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:47 pm 
New User

i am starting my own hardwood installation business, any tips, suggestions, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. [/b]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 am 
Newbie Contributor

Well Andy starting a new business can either be a great idea or a total financial disaster depending on several things. #1. What is your experience level? Have you worked with a highly experienced "PROFESSIONAL" harwood installer for at least 4-5 years? Not to scare you but homeowners can be "EXTREMELY PICKY'. You need to have ALOT of installation experience to overcome the PROBLEMS left from previous DIY's AND so-called pro's. Not to mention INSURANCE for lawsuits. Then you also need to know how to say no when you go to bid a job you can't or should'nt do- Even if you think you need the money. For me, a bunch of my relatives all said I should install my own hardwood floors, but I have "0" Experience!! Now that my floors are going to be coated TODAY, my decision to hire a professional, for me, is still the right decision. I personally feel that part of great hardwood floor laying is ART and needs to be LEARNED in an apprentice and journeyman way. Theres my .02 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Small business classes!!!

Learn what your overhead is(all of it down to the last paperclip for office supplies, to every ounce of fuel)

Then figure what you need to make a living. Then what percent is the business going to bank, to stay in business. Don't fund the business with your wages and living expenses.(this is the mistake most make)

Then put the numbers to it. One price fits all jobs, will kill you. Each job is different, and should all be priced different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:32 am 
Prized Contributor

Welcome aboard, niallniall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:03 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Hi,

Welcome. My mother was from England, North Hampshire. I still have cousins and other family there.

Installers (fitters) are welcome from all over the world. A question. Is "dustless" sanding taking off over there like it is here? Do many of the flooring companies that sand floors have dustless vacuum systems? Just curious.

Gary

Post subject: Re: staring a new business!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Andy

Good luck to you and your new business.

First off be very specific about what it is you do. You said you are starting a hardwood floor installation business and then asked about dustless sanding.
Do one or the other to start unless you already have a large truck to carry all of this stuff around.

Know your overhead, know your market, know your customer and know your work.

Is less dust taking off? The dust isn't about them, it is about you. The less dirty you are the more professional you seem. The added benefit is no more hanging plastic, no hours for clean up, no more breathing in dust. And lastly it is a great benefit to the homeowner.

Profile E-mail