Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starter Row
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:11 am 
New User

I am planning on laying 200 square foot of 3/4" x 2 1/4" oak hardwood. How do I ensure the first row I lay is straight? I know of the 3-4-5 technique but I am skeptical of any wall being straight or any two walls being square. The way the room is laid out any thing less than perfect will be very noticeable. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Use the straightest boards in the bunch for the first three rows. The same is true when you near the opposite wall. What's the difference(distance) from one wall to the other on both ends?

Quote:
I know of the 3-4-5 technique

I've never used that when starting any strip installation. Forget about the perpendicular wall lines--it's the paralel areas that you want to square up as best as possible.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:47 am 
New User

The room is 13' square. I just don't want a small variance from one end of the starting wall to the other end up "growing" by the time I finish (creating a paralellogram). In your experience how much if any does the floor rack out of square because of minute variations in the width of the hardwood? I am guessing at most a 1/4" over a 10' span. I have done a little research on installation and everyone sees to gloss over the starters. I would think it is critical to get them square - but gauging from the lack of information maybe it's not that important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:51 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Measure the distance from each corner to the corner opposite. If the measurement is the same or very close, you're good to go. If the measurement is 1/2" or more off, then divide that difference by two to split it. That way, you are not having your last row 1/2" out; only 1/4". Snap your chalk line 3" out from your walls and set the tongue on the line and as Ken says, use long straight boards to start with.