Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting Floor At Stair Nose Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:24 pm 
New User

I'm going to install pre-finished 3 1/4" x 3/4" maple starting at a set of stairs going to the basement. I would like to install the nosing first and then work away from the stair well. Would it be acceptable to install the nosing by gluing it down, then gluing in a spline and nailing it on the spline at an angle? Just like you would nail a piece of hardwood on the tongue when a stapler can't be used. I think using the stapler in this case would move the nosing out of place.

This way I would avoid having face nails on the nosing. Which would be nice since this is a focal point of the room. Do you think it would hold it securely or would you face nail it anyway?

Also, would 16 gauge brad nails be acceptable or should I go with 15?

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Starting Floor At Stair Nose Question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:50 am 
Prized Contributor

Gluing and then using a spline to fasten the nosing down will work. If you can use some brads, even 18 gauge, nailed through the soft grain, to hold while the glue sets and then use a spline and nail right through it, the nosing will remain just where you want it. To get the spline nailed without movement, slide a piece of flooring next to where you are going to fasten it with staples. Slide the loose piece of flooring right up next to the spline, adjacent to where you are going to staple it, all along the nosing as you go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 am 
Valued Contributor

JIM39C wrote:
I'm going to install pre-finished 3 1/4" x 3/4" maple starting at a set of stairs going to the basement. I would like to install the nosing first and then work away from the stair well. Would it be acceptable to install the nosing by gluing it down, then gluing in a spline and nailing it on the spline at an angle? Just like you would nail a piece of hardwood on the tongue when a stapler can't be used. I think using the stapler in this case would move the nosing out of place.

This way I would avoid having face nails on the nosing. Which would be nice since this is a focal point of the room. Do you think it would hold it securely or would you face nail it anyway?

Also, would 16 gauge brad nails be acceptable or should I go with 15?

Thanks

Use a good construction adhesive (PL Premium Adhesive) to install the stair nosing and let it set up before doing any nailing. After it has set up glue in the spline.....I'd use the flooring stapler on the spline because if could move the nosing out of position then finish nails would too. Stair nosing is a high stress area and safety trumps aesthetics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
To get the spline nailed without movement, slide a piece of flooring next to where you are going to fasten it with staples. Slide the loose piece of flooring right up next to the spline, adjacent to where you are going to staple it, all along the nosing as you go.

So basically using another board butted up against the spline to prevent it from popping out when nailed? Good tip!

JIMMIEM wrote:
I'd use the flooring stapler on the spline because if could move the nosing out of position then finish nails would too. Stair nosing is a high stress area and safety trumps aesthetics.

I would rather use the stapler. I was just concerned about knocking it out of place when hit. But if the glue is set I guess it should stay in place.

I don't disagree with you about safety, that is why I am asking if my method sounds like it will hold well. I'm trying to make it secure and look good too!

What about using finishing screws through the spline into the joists for extra security?

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 am 
Prized Contributor

Finish screws would be better than nails, but may deform the tongue unless you are used to a prefect pre-drill to countersink the head just right. You may find that the screw head prevents the next board from nesting like it should without a lot of force. Sometimes as I get close to a wall hand nailing with 8d casing nails the remedy for sliding the next board into place is to use a block plane to open the groove up some by planing the shoulders of the groove with a block plane, because the nailed down board gets deformed just a little where the T&G fits together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

JIM39C wrote:
Pete A. wrote:
To get the spline nailed without movement, slide a piece of flooring next to where you are going to fasten it with staples. Slide the loose piece of flooring right up next to the spline, adjacent to where you are going to staple it, all along the nosing as you go.

So basically using another board butted up against the spline to prevent it from popping out when nailed? Good tip!

JIMMIEM wrote:
I'd use the flooring stapler on the spline because if could move the nosing out of position then finish nails would too. Stair nosing is a high stress area and safety trumps aesthetics.

I would rather use the stapler. I was just concerned about knocking it out of place when hit. But if the glue is set I guess it should stay in place.

I don't disagree with you about safety, that is why I am asking if my method sounds like it will hold well. I'm trying to make it secure and look good too!

What about using finishing screws through the spline into the joists for extra security?

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!

The grooves of the board that is butted against the spline is there to not only keep the spline in place but also to hold the spline in a horizontal position so that it will fit squarely into the next board's groove. A piece of flooring butted on each side of your nailer is the best bet. If the construction adhesive isn't going to hold the stair noising a finishing screw vs the staple probably isn't going to do much for security.

Profile E-mail