Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steps for Wire Brush Finishing Live Sawn White Oak Planks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 pm 
New User

I would be most thankful if someone could please list the steps to finishing, with grit and sanding and filling information. I want to wind up with wire brushed planks and need help in understanding the finishing process to get from the unfinished planks to the stage when they are ready for the Rubio Monocoat.

10 inch wide white oak planks were live sawn that came unfinished from the mill.
The planks display chatter and planer marks. Being that they are live cut, every plank has knotholes and cracks in them. These major gaps in the wood have already been filled and sanded with West System Epoxy tinted dark brown. The boards themselves have not been sanded except where they were filled with the epoxy.

Some very minor cracks and irregularities remain.

Being that the installation is on a small island where there is not easy access to commercial sanders to rent, and that I am a very petite woman who cannot wrangle with these large machines, I'd like to pre finish the planks prior to gluing them down (short of the Rubio Monocoat). I have belt sanders, orbital sanders and a wire brush sander at my disposal.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood