Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stop Start Stain Overlap Question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:49 pm 
New User

Soft knotty pine, 9" wide, room : 210 sq ft, tongue and grove, glued , and face nailed with old looking cut nails.
Am about to start staining. Bona fast dri. Early American .
Here's what confuses me - perplexes - etc....
If I stain a 14 ft length of board or two , wiping off exess and waiting a few minutes as per instructions and wipe again THEN start on next run , how can I be sure any overlapping however slight into last run won't produce the effect of two coats of stain ; norrow lines of darkerness where the length of boards join ?
Can't imagine taping off like when painting, stain bleed and tape adhesive residue.
Any thoughts ?

Marty

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:22 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Since the stain is a sealer as well, it seals the wood to a degree so that it will not absorb more stain. Also, Dri Fast (and most good flooring stains) are somewhat self dissolving until they are completely dry. So if you overlap the stain, when you wipe and buff it, it should blend. It always has for me. I recommend doing some test boards to calm your nerves. :lol:

Post subject: Thanks Ken, Looks Great.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:10 pm 
New User

Thanks , Ken.
Finished the stain last night. All of the blending concepts worked perfect for me.
Because it was my first, I did one board at a time . 9 " widw about 14 ft long. always giving the board from last run a wet wipe after applying a soaking rag of stain to the new board; then wiping all excess of with same still wet rag. Got to the end of the run, waited a minute or so, then with a new clean dry rag wiped off the slight blending stain from board from just before, reached to board from before that and buffed then wipe off hard the stain from the newest board. Moving quickly down the line.
Came out great : soft knotty pine stained a golden toast brown ( Bona DriFast ) no conditioner, hardly any blotch, whatever blotchiness there is just blends into the rustic look of it all. Very dramatic knots.

Am now gonna call Bona as to if I need to lightly sand any grain now, what grit etc. Am using Bona Traffic, 2 coats for the finish.

Thanks,

Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Thanks , Ken.

My name is Gary. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:49 pm 
New User

I would Stongly recomend putting a third or forth coat down if your using water base finish on that particular floor, very soft. NICE floor by the way. Personally I would but Tung oil down 4, 5, coats looks dynamit on a floor like that. any way, i would suggest useing a high grit like a 180 or even a 220 screen with the would being so soft and being stained. if you burn through to the raw wood your out of luck. be carful. hope this helps. let me know how it comes out

Profile E-mail