Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sub floor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:19 pm 
New User

Hi,
I would like to install oak hardwood 3/4" strip flooring. The installer wants to rip up my osb 23/32" sub floor and replace it with 3/4" plywood. Is this needed or am I being ripped off at an additional 5.50 per square foot?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:43 pm 
Worthy Contributor

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... .php?t=385

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... renail.htm

Here is some handy info for you and your contractor. Judge for yourself.

Unless your joists are too far appart or your existing subfloor has endured some terminal water damage at some time, I don't think it needs to be replaced.

If he's simply trying to stand behind what he believes to be absolutely the very best job possible ... maybe you should let him use adhesive as well as nail/staple down. That will increase the quality of his product and be a bit more cost effective on your budget.

Good Luck,

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:14 pm 
New User

Thanks. I know the sub floor is fine. It's on the first floor and has a dry basement beneath. The home center store will not install without replacing the sub floor because, they say, the warranty will not hold up. I think it's a scam. The cost of materials is only $890.00 but with the additional labor and plywood the invoice total is over $3000. I told them they've got to be kidding. I was born at night, but not last night!

The glue idea is a good one. Do you see a problem with the nails coming loose because of the osb board?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Just have them staple another layer of plywood over your OSB subflooring. That is the recommended approach when a subfloor is questionable unless there is rot or damage to the subfloor, in which case just the damaged area needs to be repaired. Read this "sticky" on subfloors and underlayments.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... .php?t=385

Quote:
Underlayments are not subfloors and subfloors are not underlayments. Underlayments can be safely removed; subfloors should never be removed EXCEPT for damage or remodeling and only by licensed, knowledgeable contractors. Underlayments always go on top of subfloors and are usually stapled but can be nailed, glued, screwed, etc.

Quote:
These subfloors should NOT be removed but overlayed with 1/2" CDX plywood that is well stapled (2" around perimeter and 6" oc.) or glued or screwed. In all cases, subfloors and underlayments are to be flat to within 3/16" in a 10' radius.

No need to remove the subfloors the way I see it. Just go over them. I do this ALL THE TIME. Good Luck!