Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SUBFLOOR GAP
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:31 pm 
New User

Love your forum and hope someone can help. just glued down new floor (5/8" bamboo) over plywood subfloor on second floor of house. Subfloor was less than perfect (due to house settling) resulting in one section where hardwood bridges a low spot. Subfloor repair looked too major to undertake so I took a chance (I know - I messed up) and tried to bridge the gap by applying more glue hoping it would fill the gap. It did not and the floor delaminated in this area leaving a 1' X 4' section with no support and about a 3/16" drop when you step on the floor. Of course it is in a high traffic area so must be dealt with. I have read some other forums where they talk about 'injecting' these areas but nothing about how to do this - have not seen floor glue in an injectable mechanism - do you use wood adhesive (PL200 and the like) in a glue gun? How about an injectable and expandable foam like they use for insulation? Does it dry hard enough? I can get to this section from underneath by removing a section of ceiling drywall and drilling holes into the gap through the subfloor from below. Appreciate any and all advise...many thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:39 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Please read this:

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... epairs.htm

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... n-prep.htm

Post subject: subfloor gap
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:58 pm 
New User

At least now I know there is such a thing as a repair kit - unfortunately I don't think it will work in this case. This product seems to be for floors glued to concrete - mine is not (wood subfloor) and not for bamboo - which of course mine is. It's an engineered floor but solid bamboo - ie. no plywood layers. Does bring up another point though as it warns about cupping on bamboo floors. Minor cupping is something I have noticed with my install - I am hoping it will settle in time. Wood was well acclimatized and climate is quite dry...is this a common bamboo problem?
thx for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

Inject it with an epoxy system.

Pro-Injection.

Bostik adhesives has one.

Dri-tac does warn against cypping, because it is a waterbased adhesive.

Post subject: subfloor gap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:43 pm 
New User

Sounds like what I need - can't find anything under that name on Bostik web site. Would it be just one of their polyurethane based flooring adhesives injected with a cartridge gun?