Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Subfloor height changes. Need Help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:07 pm 
New User

I am installing 3/4” solid walnut flooring thought out my entire house. I am ready to start the kitchen but I have a problem. The floor joists under the kitchen floor had sagged about 1/2”.
I corrected this by jacking up a beam under the sagging joists. The kitchen transitions into an addition built onto the house. The floor slightly slopes up to the addition. If I lay my level across the ‘threshold’ you can see the difference. When I lay my level just inside the kitchen, the floor seems pretty much level with just the slightest of slope. I was wondering what the best way to transition into the addition from the kitchen would be. I can lay a long plank of flooring from the kitchen into the addition and it bows slightly at the ‘threshold’ fulcrum. I would like to be able to lay the floor continuously without a transition but am not sure how to go about doing this. Could I just shim the spaces under the board and nail it well?

Thanks

Brad

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Subfloor height changes. Need Help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:32 pm 
Valued Contributor

The Noof wrote:
I am installing 3/4” solid walnut flooring thought out my entire house. I am ready to start the kitchen but I have a problem. The floor joists under the kitchen floor had sagged about 1/2”.
I corrected this by jacking up a beam under the sagging joists. The kitchen transitions into an addition built onto the house. The floor slightly slopes up to the addition. If I lay my level across the ‘threshold’ you can see the difference. When I lay my level just inside the kitchen, the floor seems pretty much level with just the slightest of slope. I was wondering what the best way to transition into the addition from the kitchen would be. I can lay a long plank of flooring from the kitchen into the addition and it bows slightly at the ‘threshold’ fulcrum. I would like to be able to lay the floor continuously without a transition but am not sure how to go about doing this. Could I just shim the spaces under the board and nail it well?

Thanks

Brad

What direction will the boards run from the kitchen to the addition? What is the total height difference between the kitchen and the addition?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:51 pm 
New User

The boards will run perpendicular to the doorway or a board will run from the kitchen into the addition. Where the threshold is, the difference in height is around 1/8". But when I extend a 6 ' level out from the addition into the kitchen, the end of the level is around 1/2 - 1/4" from the floor. I wanted to post pictures on the forum but not sure how to post it here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:40 am 
Valued Contributor

If you don't want a perpendicular transition/reducer piece between the kitchen and addition then you will have to gradually reduce the height difference by gradually ramping it down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would start by checking to see whether it's possible to sad the edge of the newer part of the house to slope at the doorway without making too much of a ramp.
Taking a little off the height of the new floor area back a couple of feet may do the trick. A floor edger and 16 grit will cut down the height after setting the nails.
You can then raise the height of the older sub-floor with tarpaper to help even the slope.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

Is there a doorway from the kitchen to the addition or is the opening the entire width of the rooms? Also what is the distance from the threshold to the far side of the kitchen?

Profile E-mail