Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: subfloor moisture
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 pm 
New User

Hi tested my sub floor and its a new constriction home about 1 year old. The sub floor moisture is around 8 to 12 % in several spots. I tested the hardwood but it is below 5% and my meter does not pick it up.

Will this cause a issue or am I fine to install the hardwood since its stated they must be within 2 to 4% of the sub floor. I have 3/4 solid wood 3 1/4 wide.

Thanks in advance

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: subfloor moisture
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hardwood species? House location?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:04 pm 
New User

PA, Allentown area.

It is Red Oak Cherry

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:30 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The subfloor might be picking up the summer moisture; is the construction completely closed off from the outside humidity? If so, it may be excess moisture from the basement slab if its less than a year old.

Take separate RH readings for humidity on the basement, main, and upper levels and note any drastic differences. If the basement is more humid than the other floors, put a dehumidifier unit down there for the rest of the summer and try to bring the range back to 45%, plus or minus about 5%.

Once you have the relative humidity fixed and consistent, you can acclimate the hardwood for a few days then install it without issues. Keep checking the MC in the subfloor as it should decrease once the humidity is brought down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:10 pm 
New User

WestonKris wrote:
The subfloor might be picking up the summer moisture; is the construction completely closed off from the outside humidity? If so, it may be excess moisture from the basement slab if its less than a year old.

Take separate RH readings for humidity on the basement, main, and upper levels and note any drastic differences. If the basement is more humid than the other floors, put a dehumidifier unit down there for the rest of the summer and try to bring the range back to 45%, plus or minus about 5%.

Once you have the relative humidity fixed and consistent, you can acclimate the hardwood for a few days then install it without issues. Keep checking the MC in the subfloor as it should decrease once the humidity is brought down.

I have the hardwood in the house now for about 2 weeks not installed.

The house living area is around 30 - 35% humidity with the ac running. I got the basement RH down to about 50% with a dehumidifier running for 5 days straight. Its completely closed in and almost done. Before winter we got alot of water in basement before it was back filled about 2 inches deep 40x40 area. Wondering if its still trying to pull the moisture out of the slab. Is it safe to install it? Thanks

Its a ranch house

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

Concrete will always have some moisture that comes through the surface if it is not sealed. If you are worried about the moisture you could seal it with epoxy or another type of sealer. If there is a moisture barrier like 10 mil plastic film under the slab you will not have the problem after the slab is cured. This would be placed before the slab is poured.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:40 pm 
New User

Pete A. wrote:
Concrete will always have some moisture that comes through the surface if it is not sealed. If you are worried about the moisture you could seal it with epoxy or another type of sealer. If there is a moisture barrier like 10 mil plastic film under the slab you will not have the problem after the slab is cured. This would be placed before the slab is poured.

Yes they did put some type of plastic under the slab before it was poured. Im not to worried about it, I just dont want it to effect the flooring. Do I need to worry about that or will the flooring be fine?

Thanks

Profile E-mail