Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 5/8 subfloor prep questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm 
New User

I have a 5/8 subfloor over 24 in on center joist spacing. Things I’ve read is the subfloor should be at least 3/4thick for 3/4 naildown. This floor already has staple up radiant underneath. It also has some variation I’m shimming the worst joist from underneath the rest of it isn’t terrible. I was thinking of planing any high spots using floor patch or self level on others and then adding another layer of 1/4 over too. I know I haven’t found a self leveler or floor patch that is supposed to be nailed through just wanted to get some opinions. I don’t want to build up with shingles or felt because of the radiant and possible off gassing. Let me know what you guys think thanks for your time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 5/8 subfloor prep questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:43 pm 
Prized Contributor

Wow, that is the wrong joist spacing for 5/8th ply. If you use half inch ply it would be much better than quarter inch. I think that by covering tar paper shims with half inch ply you would not get any fumes from the tarpaper. I would consider 3/4 inch ply with such wide joist spacing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:46 am 
New User

Ok thanks for the info I think I’m gonna at least move up to adding 3/8 ply and try to find a self leveler or patch that someone’s had reasonable success nailing through maybe use a roofing nailer so I’m not beating on those spots or glue over those spots

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

I still think half inch ply is the best solution. Ask an engineer. Another thin layer over a weak sub-floor does not equal the strength of the same thickness of sub-floor as when the layers are added together, unless they are incorporated by a structural adhesive. If you use a leveling compound and glue the 3/8th inch ply with a full trowel method, you may be able to get the strength of a one inch sub-floor. You will need to have complete contact between all the clean existing 5/8 ply and the adhered leveling patch. Using a half ply over the existing 5/8 ply with glue assist would be my choice.Using screws where the tarpaper shims are needed will work using the correct fastener at schedule, at a minimum.

Profile E-mail