Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Subfloor problem, help please.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hello, I am hoping to get some assistance on on an issue.

Project new wood stairs being installed. And new flooring upstairs.

The upstairs hall, landing and bedrooms were carpet. I pulled the carpet and padding off the stairs landing and hall, and noticed a rather large slope from the edge of the top stair to the opposite wall/door opening. It's 1" in 5 feet!

The house is 35 years old. I can't lower the high side as that would change the height of the top stair and it's just the way my track home was framed, bummer. I think the floor joist is just too high on this side, sucks but I am not going to tear the framing apart.

Directly across from the top stair is the opening to a bedroom that will have carpet, there is also a bedroom opening to the left of the top stair also, that will have carpeting.

The hallway is about 16feet long and less than 4 feet wide, the slope lessens as you move down the hall to about 1/4" in 42 inches.

So every flooring person I have spoken with is perplexed on what to do they have talked about self leveling compound to at least lessen the slope by about 3/8 -1/2".

The landing tread bullnose at the top of the stairs is about 1/2", the engineered flooring (garrison) we wanted to put in is the same material. I thought if I can cut the slope in half with self leveling compound, roofing felt or ??? Would help. Also since the carpet in the bedroom would be about 1" high the transition would not be bad.

Is this a fixable situation that will not look like crap or are we better off putting carpet back down and only have wood (solid maple treads) on the stairs?

Thank you for any recs!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Subfloor problem, help please.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:26 pm 
Valued Contributor

anything is fixable..and leveling to 100% level is often not practical in finished situations..best to minimize it....leveling always has to transfer somewhere when a whole floor level is not being done.

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Subfloor problem, help please.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 am 
Valued Contributor

titan7 wrote:
Hello, I am hoping to get some assistance on on an issue.

Project new wood stairs being installed. And new flooring upstairs.

The upstairs hall, landing and bedrooms were carpet. I pulled the carpet and padding off the stairs landing and hall, and noticed a rather large slope from the edge of the top stair to the opposite wall/door opening. It's 1" in 5 feet!

The house is 35 years old. I can't lower the high side as that would change the height of the top stair and it's just the way my track home was framed, bummer. I think the floor joist is just too high on this side, sucks but I am not going to tear the framing apart.

Directly across from the top stair is the opening to a bedroom that will have carpet, there is also a bedroom opening to the left of the top stair also, that will have carpeting.

The hallway is about 16feet long and less than 4 feet wide, the slope lessens as you move down the hall to about 1/4" in 42 inches.

So every flooring person I have spoken with is perplexed on what to do they have talked about self leveling compound to at least lessen the slope by about 3/8 -1/2".

The landing tread bullnose at the top of the stairs is about 1/2", the engineered flooring (garrison) we wanted to put in is the same material. I thought if I can cut the slope in half with self leveling compound, roofing felt or ??? Would help. Also since the carpet in the bedroom would be about 1" high the transition would not be bad.

Is this a fixable situation that will not look like crap or are we better off putting carpet back down and only have wood (solid maple treads) on the stairs?

Thank you for any recs!!

An old timer told me to take care of these types of discrepancies by layering felt or shingles to gradually take care of the difference. Modified Transition/Reducers or saddles in the doorways will help.

Profile E-mail