Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Subflooring for 5" Oak 3/4" flooring
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:16 pm 
New User

Hi,

I have been tearing out 1"+ of particle board underlayment (with linoleum and carpet). Underneath it is a 1"x6" pine board subfloor on 2x8 16" OC joists (max unsupported span 10.5 ft). I have noticed that this subfloor is a little bouncy. The hardwood in the rest of the house (original-40+ years old is a little squeaky and sometimes bouncy). Would I be better off putting 1/2" plywood on top of this subfloor before installing the hardwood 5" Oak boards, or will it stiffen and remain solid (no bounce/squeaks) with just the addition of the hardwood flooring? If it is necessary to put down 1/2" plywood, should I glue and how should I attach it to joists.? Also, if I did this would it still be necessary to screw the 1x6 pine to the joists also? I would really like to end up with a solid floor that will last.

Thanks,
Bryan

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am 
New User

I think 5" is the border line for having to glue in addition to nailing boards.(anything that wide or wider should be glued down) I would put 30# felt over existing pine subfloor then screw 1/2" CDX plywood to that using longer screws at places there's a joist. Then install 5" oak to that just like you would a pre-finished install(glue-down) except you would still be nailing boards like a regular nail down. In other words it would be nailed & glued. I've installed 5" (even wider) by just nailing, but that was over plywood that was over a moisture barrier on slab. The sub-floor your describing is a wood frame house w/ crawlspace so you would have seasonal changes under there and w/ 5" or wider boards I would be worried about movement. That's why I would: 30#felt, 1/2" CDX screwed, & nail & glue oak boards. My 2 cents.

Post subject: Thanks for the reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:51 pm 
New User

Thanks for the reply,

Just to be clear, do you think that the 1/2" CDX will make the floor stiffer, more so than just nailing/gluing to the 1x6 pine subfloor?

BTW, I have a heated basement below this install, and I live in Colorado (pretty low humidity) and it has always been dry (10+ years).

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:48 am 
New User

Yes, I think it would make the sub-floor stronger. If this install. was w/ 3/4"x 2 1/4" flooring I would say just felt & nail it to existing pine sub-floor but w/ 5" boards I'd be worried about movement. If you felt paper & then 1/2" plywood at least you'd be getting some kind of a moisture barrier w/ the felt. ALSO AN EASIER FLOOR TO HAVE TO REPLACE SINCE YOU WON'T BE GLUING TO EXISTING PINE SUB-FLOOR,but to the ply-wood that has been screwed (you can un-screw & repair/replace it if you have to)

Post subject: Thanks for reply-Can you tell me more about gluing?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:21 pm 
New User

Thanks again for the advice on the flooring...
I have installed the 1/2" ply and the floor is much stiffer....

Can you tell me more about gluing down the 3/4 boards? What kind of glue would you use? Would you glue bottom surface down or just end glue?
Thanks for all the advice so far....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:09 pm 
New User

If you have already screwed plywood to pine sub-floor hopefully you put down some felt paper between the two. It would help as a moisture barrier & sometimes wood on woood will have a tendency to want to sweak. As far as glue I use only Bostik's Best .Whatever glue you use make sure it contains no water in it. (since you are using a 3/4" solid you don't want water anywhere around it) Just call me on my cell, I'll advise the best I can . Kelly: 813.887.5124 (Tampa time) The type of floor your installing (3/4" solid) is the type I install. You'll find allot of glue-down installer's but this type of floor is a whole different animal. (to be done properly anyway) Just give me a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:32 am 
Worthy Contributor

I wonder if you sholdn't take your phone number out in case you get inundated by calls.

As for the felt paper between the two subfloor layers, is that a common thing to do? It seems like a good idea, even though you end up using twice the amount of felt paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:13 am 
New User

I'm not really worried about phone calls from people on this board. That's what I thought it's her for , to help people out. Also, reason for felt between pine board sub-floor and ply-wood being used would help any squeaks from wood on wood,provide an added moisture barrier, it's only $18.00 a roll, and if for any reason the floor was to fail the manufacturer,distributor, & inspector might try to say it shoulda been done if you didn't do it.