Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SUbflooring questions- HELP!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:42 pm 
New User

Lets talk subflooring!
hi all- getting ready to put down the Bruce New Reflections soon- had a question about my subfloor.
Its 1/2 plywood with a layer of 3/4 inch tongue and groove osb over it.
The OSB iis butted tightly and there is some puckering on the edges/seams.. Its my intent to sand all the seams smooth- but will I have reoccuring pucker problems because the OSB is butted so tight?? Should I run a saw down the seams? This will take the tongue out. The Bruuce instructios say not too- but I dont want buckling issues on this thin of a floor...
TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:07 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

OK! First, are you certain it is OSB and not particle board? Also, are you gluing or stapling down the Bruce flooring? My inclination would be to cut a saw kerf down the seams. Subfloor panels and underlayments are supposed to be slightly gapped. Then I would staple down (or nail with ring shanks) all around the perimeter of the OSB panels. I like staples; they're fast and hold well. I use a 15 gauge, 1&1/2" leg, 1/2" crown staple. I think that's about all you can do, unless you want to tearout that OSB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

Staples are fast, but for sheer holding and pulling power, nothing beats a coarse thread screw, for holding and keeping squeaks in check, on OSB(Beaver Barf)

That stuff will eventually squeak if it is nailed or stapled.

The peaked seams tells me that OSB has been wet at one time. Most likely before the roof was dried in. OSB is very dimensionally stable, length and width, but will swell & start to delaminate in the thickness, if moisture intrudes the edges.

I wouldn't do this job without a pin type wood moisture meter.

Make absolutely sure the subfloor and the finished flooring are within 2% moisture content, or you will have a problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:42 pm 
New User

I should have mentioned that I am stapling it down with a Bostitch floor runner. I dont know for sure if its osb or not- its 3/4 inch tongue and groove chipboard? Looks like random peices of wood scrap pressed and laminated together. Seems to be tightly attached.
The flooring will be in the room where the flooring is for about 3 weeks before I out it down. I stacked the boxes llog cabin styke so the air could circulate around it.
Thanks for the quick responses...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:36 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Perry's right! Nothing holds like screws! Time consuming however!