Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Suggestions for a Newbie sanding a floor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:15 am 
New User

I would like to sand my floors and coat.The floor is is good condition with no cupping or warping(1950’s-1960’s build).I had a “Professional” sand my floors 20 years ago.The floors still look flat.After sanding they threw a quick coat Down and called it a day.I would like to do it the right way this time.I plan on removing the 1/4 rounds so I can use a just 1 machine for the job(and maybe a Fein tool for hard to reach areas).
My question is what is a good starter sander for me to use?I’ve read that orbitals are a good starting point.Any favorite sanders?Also what would be the sequence?36 grit then coat then sand again?Thanks You

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a Newbie sanding a floor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

You may have base shoe instead for quarter round trim. It is preferred for wood floors since it is easier to nail into the base board instead of hitting the floor while nailing at a 45 degree angle.
If the floor is flat and only worn/dirty in the traffic patterns you could sand the floor with a random orbit sander to skim the surface and clean it up for a seal and two coats of finish. Start with 50 grit where there is finish left, then work up to 100 grit. 120 grit will give a real smooth surface for the first coat of finish. Sand lightly between coats vacuum and tack between coats. Finish with Satin so you see the grain better.

Profile E-mail