Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Supicious about Swedish finish!
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 am 
Newbie Contributor

I've had no less than 6 bids for white oak quarter-sawn here in Bellevue, WA. Five of the installers tell me SWEDISH is the best finish. One or Two of the bids basically ASSUMED I wanted a swedish finish without even asking, it was merely box checked on the bid! The problem is, that of the six bids, the loner bidder who seems the most knowledgeable says WATER BASED POLYURETHANE is better than SWEDISH in this application. Is Swedish easier? Cheaper? more forgiving? I'm just not convinced. Most businesses /people today are looking for the quickest or cheapest---Not, the best!!!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You are in an area where acid curing urethanes have long been the standard of the industry. In fact, the world famous "Bacca-Glitsa" is manufactured right there. I am not surprised that most of the contractors submitted bids recommending a "swedish" finish. You should know that an acid curing urethane (swedish finish) is neither cheap nor easy to use. Many consider it the best floor finish available. Some of the most beautiful floors and finishes I have seen had a Bacca Glitsa finish on them. The very best water-based floor finishes are comparable in durability and appearance. That would be Bona Traffic and Basic Revotech. You should choose a contractor who's work you have seen and admire. What you don't want is a cheap, single component water based finish from Home Depot applied by an unskilled worker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

BRAVO for GARY!! You make a sound argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:35 pm 
Newbie Contributor

My PROFESSIONAL installer is waiting for the white oak skirt boards before he can proceed with the two staircases, (split entry) , install. So far, my installer is fantastic! Quarter & Rift Sawn white Oak from Shamrock Plank flooring albeit my flooring is 3" is really good stuff! Initially, we talked about a water based finish but have since changed to a swedish finish. What I'm picking up is, not surprisingly, that you can't skimp on a professional! And yes Glistsa is in my backyard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 am 
New User

if you really want a quality looking finish that wears great(10 on the taber abrasion)look into vermeister