Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sure The Job Is Ready!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

How many times have we heard that before... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking through some CD's today I came across one job that was ready to go..or at least that's what I was told. It was an extensive remodel and naturally nobody bothered to check it's progress..just figured..It's READY Does it look ready to go folks? Kinda hard to glue down a floor over that.

I won't mention names 'cause he could be lurking...hehe. I will say however, he was the best I worked for, but I always got alot of grumbling when he wondered or asked "what's this for?" when the bill for the job was turned in.

Geesh, the number of days I worked for free was outrageous when you figure in the amount of time lost fetching things, going to the supply house so I could get the darned job started. After awhile I just gave up and went home when no improvement was in sight. Then more grumbling..."what did you leave the job for--they don't want to see you again" I was always ready to go at 7-8AM and most of the work was new construction, but enough was enough.

Sure wish I took a pic of another job that was ready..small room 200 sf. Somebody failed to tell another they just dug a plumbing line under the slab so there was a 2' x 2' exposed hole in the middle of the room. Heck at least the wood got to the job...

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:25 pm 
New User

THE problem at my store is i would walk away from that and the next day the brazilian crews would slap it in :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:30 pm 
Is that pipe for the toidy?? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:27 am 
Prized Contributor

Welcome to the message board Jersey guy.

Sounds like you need a NWFA or NOFMA tech & spec manual, to persuade and educate, the uneducated at the store you do work for. Sounds like your subcontracting, from someone who thinks they know more then you, about your craft.

Sounds like they don't care about quality lasting installations where you subcontract from. Just get it in. We will make you fix it for free when it fails. No skin off their backs.

On jobs like that, it is probably best that the Brazillians did do it!
Never lost money on a job I didn't do! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:32 pm 
New User

unfortunately i sub in a store and for builders who would rather get the floors in and then pay us again later to fix them. its pretty much an everyday occurence for me at this point to first go to the super, he signs off on the warranty and it get s installed no matter what. it really drives me crazy that on a million plus home the builders are more willing to pay me or someone from my store to come back and fix the inevitable problems then to make things right in the first place. this is a great site btw,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Don't feel like you're alone Jersey. Same thing happens everywhere. Some builders could care less about when the job is ready. They just want to please the customer, grab the cash, and as I often heard while subcontracting...."we'll worry about problems later."

What some don't realize is the cost involved in replacing a floor after a failure, not to mention the inconvenience to the new home owners. Furniture has to be moved, sometimes it goes into storage. Depending on how the floor was finished off(base or quarter round) painters have to be called in, sometimes drywall finishing guys..the list goes on. Let's not forget the dust involved, potential mold issues and so forth.

It's all about the fast money the way I view it. Waivers? Mention that word where I did work and they'd throw you out--bring in somebody that will take the chances.

70% acceptable? Sounds like a typical view. Thanks for joining in on our discussions. What part of Jersey?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:40 am 
New User

Id say 8 out of 10 builders we work with have no problems doing waivers just to get the flooring in, 2 of the builders, well not actually the builders overall but the managers at 2 of our sites are extremely professionall and have the house clean ready and climate controlled before they call us. its always a good day at their sites. i kinda get down on the way this business runs sometimes but its always reassuring, to me at least to see the same problems from installers everywhere. im still fairly new in this business as far as working for myself and tend to let some of the little problems bother me more than i should. i work out of flemington new jersey. more or less in the middle of the state but we range all the way from pocono/philly to new york with cutomers and developments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

JERSEY FLOOR GUY wrote:
i kinda get down on the way this business runs sometimes but its always reassuring, to me at least to see the same problems from installers everywhere. im still fairly new in this business as far as working for myself and tend to let some of the little problems bother me more than i should.

Best thing I ever did, besides buying my first filing cabinet many years ago, was to take small business classes! Marketing classes are next.

It has helped me understand what running a profitable business is all about.

Now if I can just find out how a small potatos guy like me can, reach and connect with the quality minded clients, who are not afraid to pay what it takes to do it right.

Marketing! My next frontier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:45 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

What you're talking about is self promotion, selling the fact that you are THE MAN! Around here, the bigger shops get most of the high end jobs because folks figure that if they're big and successful, they must be good! What they don't realize is the employee turnover rate and that it is the skill of the mechanic doing the work that makes for a well done job; so sometimes they end up with a fellow who just got started, even though they hired a big time flooring contractor. For me, referrals have always been the best advertising. I do all I can to provide the customer with a good experience and a top notch job at a fair price. I hook up with remodel and custom home builders and let them know they will be my highest priority. Most GC's are control freaks and if you rub them the wrong way, they never call you back. It is an art in knowing how to deal with different personalities but that is required if you're selling yourself and skills. I do not do track housing! The pay is lousy, the conditions are bad, the terms do not make sense for highly skilled flooring professionals!
So I concentrate on remodelers and homeowners. Presenting yourself as highly skilled and knowledgeable without appearing arrogant with lots of referrals takes practice. Sometimes it requires spending lots of time with an undecided customer really trying to understand their needs. Look, if they have called you, they have already decided to do the work. All you need to do is show them YOU are the guy to do it. Bragging won't cut it, just listen first. Show how interested you are in them and their project; and how trustworthy you are. That is the key! Getting your name out there takes time. Some advertising is fine but most people cold calling are price shopping and since I'm not the lowest, I don't usually get the job anyway so advertising doesn't work for me. Carry business cards and make sure all the subs on a job get one. Work well with all the other subs and try to be accomodating. What you're trying to do is build a reputation of someone people want to work with. A good reputation is your greatest asset. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Found some more pics.....LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The builder insisted the floor be put in. This was a small area to get a gluedown floor. Typical rush... nobody knew what was going on.

Wonder what kind of transition piece goes here?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:29 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yeah Ken, the new lightening bolt, zig zag style wood treshold will fit the bill nicely. :wink: Tilesetters usually give me crappy edges to fit to but this is ridiculess! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:32 pm 
Prized Contributor

Almost looks like they did that on purpose, and forgot to come back and cut it straight, with a diamond blade, on a small circular saw.
It looks like the grouting is not done yet, so theoretically, they were not finished yet.

The builder is pushing you even thoughthe wet trades are not yet finished and the humidity from those wet trades is going to be higher then normal. I hope the flooring isn't sitting there "acclimating"! It is gaining moisture from the wet trades working and adding moisture into the inside atmosphere.