Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swedish vs Traffic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:08 am 
New User

I have two dogs and I'm having cumaru installed. Being in Seattle, Swedish finishes seem to be the most popular and many people have told me that is the way to go. Many of the pros on this BB seem to really like Traffic. How does Traffic compare with a Swedish finish in terms of durability and looks?

Any info regarding finish recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:35 am 
Prized Contributor

I prefer the look of acid cure on exotic species like cumaru it will have a deeper richer look compared to that of a waterborne. One main difference to me would be the toxicity of acid cure vs. waterborne. I would let someone make some samples of each ask your finisher what is prefers and feels he can give you the best results with and go from there. Both will protect your floor for many years to come provided they are maintained properly.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:43 am 
Worthy Contributor

Are you going to be living in the house shortly after the finish is applied? Swedish finishes release a lot of toxins into the air and are generally not really that great to live in while it is curing.

Quote:
How does Traffic compare with a Swedish finish in terms of durability and looks?

Personally, I think Traffic looks great. It depends on what you are trying to achieve though. Traffic does not amber so if you are looking for a clear representation of the wood then Traffic is top of the heap. Some people prefer the warmth of the ambering on some woods in which Traffic will leave you wanting. What some finishers do to overcome this is to use one coat of an oil based poly or tung oil to amber the wood and then put Traffic over top of that coat.

Traffic is the hardest site-finish in the industry.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:26 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Isn't Cumaru hard as nails anyway? Some of these woods are harder than alot of finishes out there. I know that IF sweedish scratches the scratces are white and unsightly. If ANY top curing (non penetrating) finish scratches from dogs etc., then the finish is fractured and stuff can get in there. (sounds real technical huh?)

BUT on ultra hard woods there is no harm in enjoying the beauty of Waterlox tung oil. 'Bout 4 coats. I will testify that it is much more scratch resistant than most might think. AND when you do get one the wood beneathe the scratch is still protected due to its penetration. And realy you'd be surprised that also sort of disguises any scratches, no white mark or fracture through to unprotected wood. (Kinda hard to describe ... try a sample youself ... youl see)

Another Pro ... the stuff is a dream to apply. Very forgiving to a DIYer. and no need to screen before a recoat, unless you just want to to aid in aesthetics.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from up here in the frozen tundra.

By the way GO SEAHAWKS!!! Beat them deadskins!!!

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail