Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swirl marks everywhere
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi - New floor installed, 2 coats of traffic applied. Finish coat of Traffic had significant number of dry marks and lap marks so the installer sanded part of the floor (about 1/2 of the floor) and recoated it yesterday.

Now the part he repaired has obvious swirl marks everywhere. About 500 sq. ft. of a 2000 sf install has swirl marks. He obviously did not sand other areas as there are no marks. Also som new dry marks.

The swirl marks look terrible and my wife almost cried last night when we saw the floor. We've had our furniture out of the house for a month and we're tired of it.

I'm wondering if this large of a job (4 rooms and a 30ft hallway) is to big for this install guy and if Traffic is to tricky for him. A simple square room turns out good, but any transition areas/angled areas, etc. are not so good.

1) Can an experience finisher do a really good job with Traffic? Anybody want to come to Florida?

Any recommendation on how the swirl marks should be resolved?

Thanks.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:07 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

1) If a large job is too cut up, a single finisher may not be enough and the job may require two finishers working in tandem together to blend the finish together properly. Traffic isn't that difficult to work with. Perhaps your guy is inexperienced or new to it.
2) If it were me, I would use a Clarke OBS -18 http://www.clarkeus.com/Products.php?Br ... rke&Pro=73
with 100 grit screen to remove the existing swirl and scratch, then use a 150, then a 220, then finish it off with just a maroon pad. Handsand all the edges and perimeter with 220 alum. oxide automotive paper. Then vacumm, tack and coat.