Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Taber abrasion results
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Does anyone know where I can find the taber results for different floor finishes? I tried googling it, tons of results on what it is, but no results except for a uv cured site finished product saying it is 15xs harder than traffic.

I figured if anyone knew where the results would be it would be ken

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taber abrasion results
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:26 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have been told by a few manufacturers that taber tests done in a laboratory are horse hooey. Anything can be done in a lab to show specific results. The only taber test I would believe is one from an independent laboratory that showed the name of each product beside it. Basic Coatings has theirs with comparisons but compared to who is where my problem is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:13 pm 
New User

Taber Test are conducted by many prefinished flooring makers. This test is usually conducted after the finished is applied and cured in the factory. Taber test results can vary depending on the type of finish being tested, coats of finish, and the grit of sandpaper used on the Taber machine. To really compare the taber test from one manufacture flooring product to another you have to know the type of finish, coats of finish, and the grit of sandpaper used on the taber machine. Finding this specific information can be a challenge in itself. Using a higher grit sandpaper on a taber test machine will give you higher results. Taber testing is used during quality control during prefinished flooring manufacturing. Other factors on site in the home can cause a good finish to perform poorly. Examples are improper cleaning products, grit/sand on floor with no regular cleaning schedule, and high amounts of moisture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

The taper abrasion test measures how much finish gets sanded off over so many runs around a special sandpaper that weighs a certain amount. Shoes would not benefit from a wear test like this. This value that is the result of the test is only for measuring different resins of floor finish as they are slowly worn off by the sandpaper. There are different methods to compare the types of finish resins, or waxes.

Profile E-mail