Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tamrindo flooring, new install, gaps and popping sounds
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:52 pm 
New User

Help please,
We had a local installer deliver our Tamarindo flooring package and leave it for two weeks to acclimate. (the installer wanted to just leave it for 4 or 5 days, but based upon what we had read, we insisted on more time

The flooring was installed, then the next day sanded, puttied and one coat of Swedish finish applied.

It sat, covered with construction paper for aprox 6 months. Last week they came in to put the final 2 coats on. They applied the 2nd coat,and the next day when we were able to walk on it, we noticed gaps! We called the supervisor, and he said that the installer had called him to tell him about the gaps, but they weren't prepared with materials to fix it, so he told them to go ahead and put the 2nd coat on anyway.

He said that they were going to come out and "shim" the gaps the next day, with tamarindo shims and that everything would be just fine.

I watched periodically as they "pounded" in the shims, and asked them "are you sure this will be all right? They assured me they do it all the time.

1. They would put wood glue in the gaps
2. Cut a shim out of Tamarindo
3. pound it into the floor
4. sand it even with the floor.

I would have to say that they installed over 100 shims in 900sq ft area!

They then applied the last coat of swedish finish.

We allowed it to dry for 5 days, then as our other contractor was installing sinks, etc. he heard popping sounds so frequently, he thought there were other people in the house. He called me out, and we sat still on the stairs and listened. It sounded like rice krispy cereal! It was loud and frequent.

Prior to having the shims and the 2nd two coats of varnish put on, we did not hear any creaking or pops like this!

As we continue to walk the floor the sounds are lessening, however, now there are .5 inch to 1inch gaps running lengthwise along the seams between the planks. The floor looks like it is over 30 years old in the seams, like putty was sucked up by a vacuum cleaner.

Sorry bout the length of this note, but trying to give you details

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

Your hardwood guys don't know a thing about moisture content and what temperature and humidity have in common!!!

Your hardwood guys are clueless rookies!!!

Did the guy even have a moisture meter and a hydrometer?

The damage is done now!!!

Have them come out and replace your floor!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

I'm speechless and very sorry to hear of such a tragedy.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:39 pm 
Worthy Contributor

What is your question?
This is not a floor I would pay money for. Its clear a number of mistakes were made, first off, not enough acclimation befor and after installation. I would have problems with the construction paper on top for six months as well. Their remedy is comical and is not industry standards. Demand they do it over.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:53 am 
New User

Thanks for the comments. So it seems unanimous that the floor needs to be replaced. Do we need to have a certified inspector come out? The foreman came out, looked at the floor and said he was going to go to the supplier of the wood to see what they could do.

All of your responses say that the installer is at fault. What are my options? I don't know that I want them to do any more work!!

Profile E-mail