Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Taylor Tuff Loc Hardwood Adhesive
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:15 am 
Site Admin

I know many of you guys rave at the stuff and I haven't used it. They say 60-70 SF per gallon for engineered products under 1/2" Sound about right? Any suprises with the adhesive? Advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:29 am 
Prized Contributor

If your talking about the 2071, I like it.

I get right at 50 sq.ft. per gallon spread rate, just because I have become comfortable with that rate and the floor prep I put into the job.

If you spend more time making that slab smooth and as flat as a window, I don't see why 60-70 sq.ft. per gallon won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:22 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I e-mailed Owen's about using Taylor adhesives hoping to use 2071 on their PlankFloor. They told me NOT to use that adhesive but to use Bostick's Best or Franklin 811 (which is now called "Advantage"). I don't understand why! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:36 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary I used Taylor 2071 on 3/8 WFI Santos solid and the whole floor cupped I got about 450 sq ft down the first day, came back the next morning and everything I done was cupped, not badly if you didnt know what you were looking for you would never notice. It went down after about three days, on the plus side it does clean up easier than bostiks. The Taylor sealer is dark blue and you have to be careful not to splash it on anything doesnt come off very well, I learned the hard way :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:27 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

OK, I got a gripe! How come these adhesive manufacterers cannot make a glue that cleans up easily, has a good working time, doesn't ruin the wood, and securely bonds the flooring down. We used to have it! Yeah, it smelled a little but not that bad. Franklin 911 and Bruce LP. Man, I think they were the same. They worked great; NEVER had problem. Now, ya can't clean the stuff off the floors (urethanes) or they cup the floors (latex). I used DRI-TACK on a job years ago and it worked pretty good and clean up fairly easily. I know Bostick's sticks like there's no tommorow but the clean up! UGH! :x The stuff seems to get everywhere no matter how neat you try to be. Last year, I used a CHEAP ($40.00 for 4 gal.) wood floor glue to glue Phoenix to plywood; worked fine. I would not have tried it on concrete though. Well, thanks for letting me sound off. I guess I'll just pass on prefinished to concrete work. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:15 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have used Parabonds, Millinium 4002. It was nice to use and it is a urethane.

I wouldn't use 2071 on a solid wood!!! Only stable engineered species.

Post subject: good stuff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:04 pm 
Newbie Contributor

have done about 3,000 feet of city plank with it in the last 6 weeks and like it a lot. scared the crap out of me the first day. All the end joints lifted slightly, but was flat as glass the next afternoon..havent used one inch of blue tape with it, does not slide at all. Clean up is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:19 pm 
Valued Contributor

DriTac has some new glue.
DriTac is great and elastomeric which allows for movement without breaking loose from the substrate. They also do not make claims concerning solids being glued down.
The number of failures glueing Solid Wood direct is enough to make me a happy inspector. Even The urethanes have limits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:56 pm 
I jst looked at a solid 5/16 glued down on concrete with Roberts 1404. It was ugly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Roberts 1404

Who uses that in this business? Good comments guys! DriTac? Now that's some tough stuff! I used it for a few years with engineered only. One benefit with that one is the tackiness. Have a low spot that was missed on floor prep? Place some weights on it the next day for 24 hours and the hollow sound is gone permantly. Works great with bowed boards like a cheap 3/8" Bruce builders grade where the perpendicular wall line areas won't stay down. Cleanup was much easier too. Yea, I'm with you Gary, that urethane stuff is horrible to clean up.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:01 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
Roberts 1404

Who uses that in this business?

The guy who did the Tigerwood job. Home Depot sells it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Exactly! Somebody that didn't know what he was doing--and/or was misinformed--alot of that going around.

End result-- tear it out and start from new. $$ Loss???

Have any pics?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Roberts 1407 Glue/Flooring Woes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:49 pm 
New User

The guys that just did my floor used Roberts 1407 "High Performance Acrylic Urethane WoodFlooring Adhesive". Is that a shoddy brand? I am wondering because there are cracks and pops a plenty. There are some places where there are squishy noises, and when I take my foot off of the floor, it feels like it is being "peeled" off of something. Any advise? Please help me - floor has been installed now for a week. This is the first time I have had this done, so I didn't think this was normal, and based on the things I've read, it's not.

Post subject: One more thing...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:01 pm 
New User

Oh Yeah - I forgot to add that is is cement flooring with "5-Star Cork Underlayment" under the wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:04 am 
Prized Contributor

Lack of floor prep to bring the concrete to the wood manufacturers, NWFA and NOFMA requirements of 1/8 inch in 6 feet