Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thanks Gary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:43 am 
New User

:roll: I'm not sure if I need new post... If you are correct and the subfloor is "gypecrete" , whithout proper prep what may I expect?? Is this why the floor is popping and crackling?? Would this indicate I have a failed floor?? What would be the remady? I think it needs to be replaced. Thanks for your timley response.
Dianna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:15 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

It does sound like it needs to be replaced. Have you considered getting other opinions from other flooring contractors in your area? You can also hire an independant inspector but that will cost you. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

Your installer didn't have a clue if he installed a gluedown over gypcrete.

He basically stole your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 am 
Worthy Contributor

Nice answer Perry ... of course you are thouroghly schooled in every single adhesive product out there ....
Lots of help

I had a thought. Did the contractor properly acclimate the floor?

Did he leave a proper expansion gap around the perimeter?

I'm surprised nobody asked you these basic questions originally.

If the floor (bamboo is NO exception) did not acclimate properly (7 - 14 days and take moisture readings) and if it has swelled only a little and then has no expansion gap, the floor could be trying push itself up.

With the sub-floor being gypcrete:

the adhesive spread rate may not have been thorough enough ('course he did use a TON of glue)

OR improperly troweled (i.e. wrong kind of notch) and is coming off of the sub floor.

OR it may have been like what the Chemrex tech guy explained about penetrating adhesives, that so much has gone into the gypcrete not leaving enough for the flooring product (first time I'd ever heard of it too).

OR the floor is coming up like I described and it's busting up and taking the gypcrete with it (does it sound crunchy underneath?)

OR (anyone ever hear of this) the bamboo itself has a problem with the glue ... perhaps the back of the boards were sealed with something that wont accept the adhesive or possibly the product is delaminating.

OR gypcrete is a bit sandy ... he may not have vaccuumed at all????

Maybe you can find some previous customers of his and see if he has ever been a "hack" elsewhere. Perhaps be a P.I.T.A. to him and come to some sort of an understanding ... at least get him to refund some cash.

Was his warrantee in writing? Do you have a contract? Warrantees should be in your favor and extend past his so-called deadline if he willfully installed over a fixed sub-floor that he suspected might fail. Many articles in Hardwood Floors Magazine over the years have stated that judges have typically sided with customers when a contractor makes a decision contrary to what is enforcable to manufacturer recommendations regardless of the contractor's written warrantee limitations.

Besides, I don't like the fact that he has a 6 month warrantee. That doesn't give you a chance to see how his product stands up to ALL FOUR seasons at your location.

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:25 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Will, I don't know if you read Diana's very first post on this subject floor. Here it is and my first response.
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... ght=#13423

As you can see by my answer, I did not condemn nor judge. I only made an educated guess based on the limited info I had. Just thought you might like to know. :)