Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The final steps tothe FINISH line
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:37 pm 
New User

I am about to finish installing 1200 sq ft of mixed red white oak in the cottage. It is the LL 89-99 cent utility grade.

The hardwood is of utility and rustic grades and contained black knot holes. What do I use as a filler ? Same color?
I want to keep this character as it is a 1940s cottage. I have only found small cans of colored putty/filler.

Some boards were splits and have fine open lines 1/16 to 1/8 at most extreme, what do I use to fill these in?

I have watched a segment on floor refinishing where as the floor was stripped and then the entire floor was coated with a filler like setting grout in tiles. Should I be doing this or just spot filling?

The hardwood was unfinished, what grit will I be starting with? 80? I have been reading 24-36 but those are for finished floors. I do have some high spots.

How many belts should I get for the 1200 sq?

Thanks guys
Tina

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: The final steps tothe FINISH line
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Tina, I would spot fill and not fill the knots. You can get bigger buckets of wood filler at Home Depot. I would start with a 36 grit sand paper. You will need about 5 36 grit papers, about 4 50 grit, and about 4 80 grit. Then you will need roughly 35 36 grit edger discs, 35 50 grit, and 35 100 grit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The final steps tothe FINISH line
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 pm 
New User

Thanks so much for the reply. I have to plan ahead as I am 60 miles of rural roads to the nearest Lowes or Home Depot. And these are the smaller stores.

I take it your estimates for paper was for the rough sanding, Do I use a 100 then a 220 the sanding between coats?

The natural putty/ wood filler dried lighter than I wanted. It is stain able, what can I use to darken some of the spots?
I tried to tint it with some walnut stain but it turned gray instead of black.

I want to go with a clear coat water based. Manufacturers suggestion and quantity? Realistically
can I sand and seal 1200 sq in a 48 or 72 hrs?

Profile E-mail