Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The wrong stain was used!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm 
New User

So, I need advice badly, and fast!

My red oak floors are being refinished. On Monday, they sanded and the guy didn't put down a palette of stain colors, but told us which stain would match the sample we chose from the store. Trusting him as the "professional" we said ok. This is my first time having my floors redone, so I didn't know that he should have put a palette down.

Yesterday, he stained, put a sealer on the floor and one coat of oil poly. Well, last night we looked at it, and it's THE WRONG COLOR. It's far lighter than the color we wanted. So we told the guy who's contracted, and he said that he was never given the sample from the business owner, and he thought it was the correct color.

Now they are trying to resolve the issue by saying they are going to lay one coat of a dark stained oil poly down tonight as the top coat to bring it closer to the color we wanted (still no the exact color) but "sufficient" enough.

My concern is, that top layer of poly will wear and we're going to be back to square one, with the color we don't want. We've already paid half, but I don't know what to do. I'm paying $1500 to have my living room finished, and it's probably not going to turn out to the color we ultimately wanted, and they are just putting a band-aid on it.

What do I do? Please help!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: The wrong stain was used!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Don't pay the balance until they fix their mistake.

There should have been a sample somewhere. Get that out and hold them to it. Pull out your contract and go through the fine print.

I always do a sample piece with 3 or 4 shades on it and have the customer pick one and sign off on it. Hard to argue with your own signature.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:05 am 
New User

im new here . so if wrong stain well used on wood floors this could ruin the floor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 pm 
Prized Contributor

Stain will show the figure of the wood more than a natural finish. A brown stain can be corrected if the stain need to get darker andfinish has not been applied. Once the seal coat is applied the floor will not absorb more stain, but a color coat can make it darker. Sanding the floor to bare wood to start over will work for a solid floor. An engineered floor may be worn through if the veneer is thin. If the stain was applied too dark it will need to be sanded to bare wood and start over.

Profile E-mail