Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: They put the wrong stain down!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm 
New User

So, I need advice badly, and fast!

My red oak floors are being refinished. On Monday, they sanded and the guy didn't put down a palette of stain colors, but told us which stain would match the sample we chose from the store. Trusting him as the "professional" we said ok. This is my first time having my floors redone, so I didn't know that he should have put a palette down.

Yesterday, he stained, put a sealer on the floor and one coat of oil poly. Well, last night we looked at it, and it's THE WRONG COLOR. It's far lighter than the color we wanted. So we told the guy who's contracted, and he said that he was never given the sample from the business owner, and he thought it was the correct color.

Now they are trying to resolve the issue by saying they are going to lay one coat of a dark stained oil poly down tonight as the top coat to bring it closer to the color we wanted (still no the exact color) but "sufficient" enough.

My concern is, that top layer of poly will wear and we're going to be back to square one, with the color we don't want. We've already paid half, but I don't know what to do. I'm paying $1500 to have my living room finished, and it's probably not going to turn out to the color we ultimately wanted, and they are just putting a band-aid on it.

What do I do? Please help!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: They put the wrong stain down!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 am 
Newbie Contributor

It's always painful when we don't get the desired results for our spent money. You can suggest them the color and ask them to put that stain down by basic process.

First, say them to sand the floors with the sanding machine.
Then choose a light stain such as Golden oak or Golden Pecan, or a dark stain such as Ebony, Jacobean, dark walnut or Royal Mahogany.
And finally, add polyurethane – usually 2-3 coats. to get a good look for your flooring. With this process, you can solve your problem. Try this!

Profile E-mail