Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: They want hardwood where ceramic tile currently is.....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

While measuring for a custom entertainment unit this weekend. The homeowner mentioned she wants to replace the ceramic they have on the 1st floor with new hardwood. Being a finish carpenter and not a hardwood guy, I won't be doing it but how hard is the prep work going to be. The 1st floor is a concrete slab. I have removed ceramic in the past and know it's not easy getting the thinset up off the slab. Would grinding it be best? Just curious as they were asking questions and I told them I'd try to find out for them what they are in for.

Michael

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:57 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
but how hard is the prep work going to be

There are a few ways to see if it's installed well. Tap on the areas with the end of a broom stick. If they sound hollow the tile removal may be easy, but how difficult will it be for the removal of the thinset?

I put three labor pool guys together on the work below. 1,400 square feet and they put in 8 hours for three days. The tile came up in six hours..the rest...ugh.... And by the way this was my best experience with labor pool personel. Most of the time you'll get one good guy, another halfie and the final one may only be worth two hours work. Maybe it's the bad economy and these guys need to work harder? The work was done in May of this year.

Removing Ceramic Tile

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:42 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thank Ken I told them popping the ceramic loose would not be too big an issue but getting the thin set up will be. It sounded like they were willing to do the hard work themselves and then bring in an installer to do the hardwood. Is renting a grinder something a homeowner can do assuming they are not afraid of work or are these tools not available to rent?

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:18 am 
Worthy Contributor

Rental of a heavy rolling not riding stripper should be availible. Some rental stores have a light wieght strippper / scraper availible. This might not be adequate. The heavy stripper should do the job.

Profile E-mail