Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is this a good solution for uneven OSB subfloors?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:50 pm 
New User

Its me again...

After re-learning the difference between level and flat (thanks Pop-Pop) we've determined that our floors aren't low... they are high due to two joists being a little higher than the others. Sanding them down doesn't seem to be an option because of the nature of this OSB - which flakes apart way too easily.

The newly suggested solution by my father-in-law is to go down into the unfinished basement and raise the low boards by shimming them up, then screwing nails through the shim to the joist to solidfy it. We did a test on one board - hammering it up 1/4 inch and shimming it up, and that seemed to do the trick. He also proposes to fill any gaps (between floorboard and joist with construction adhesive or thin boards - depending on the size of the gap.

What problems are we missing on this? It seems too easy to me, and I haven't seen a similar suggestion anywhere I've looked. We're spending a ton of time just mulling over how to even out the subfloor, because I know from reading that it is one of the most important steps in this process, but I want to make sure we do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:01 am 
Valued Contributor

Sounds more like a high beam. I wish I were there. I could give you a sit-rep.