Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts about using Hide Glue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:14 pm 
New User

Hi,
I'm really trying to use as much natural products as possible for my extension. I have found some low toxicity glues, such as acrylic glues, but was wanting to have a product that would be even more biodegradable for the future. I was thinking of using hide glue and nailing the hardwood floors to ¾ inch plywood sheathing/sublfoor. Is that not a good idea? I know that hide glue is strong, but maybe not great with repeatedly being stressed.
Is this not a good idea?
Let me know.
Thanks,
Dimitri

P.S. If you aren't into it what about screwing hardwood boards instead from the side at an angle?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Thoughts about using Hide Glue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

I think hide glue besides nailing or stapling would tend to make flooring unusable if it was ever taken up to be re-used anywhere. Glues for hardwood flooring need to be flexible to prevent failure from "creep". Flooring will move just a little after it is fastened in place. Stiff glues do not resist the movement, by being flexible like floor glues, as flooring can move after it is fastened down from humidity changes and stress from traffic over the floor.Stiff glues just pop free if stress has been applied from this type of movement that overcomes its stress resistance.
If hardwood flooring is acclimated before laying and is kept at this type of condition then glue is not required for good service as has been demonstrated over decades of use, except as when glued to a concrete slab.

Profile E-mail