Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Threshold and Transition Question -- Help!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:10 pm 
New User

We are installing BR111's solid 7/16" x 2 5/8" Santos Mahogany on our first floor new construction. The sub-floor is 3/4" OSB. We are also putting carpeting in our family room.

Questions:

1. What is the best accessory for transitioning between the hardwood and the carpeting? I see BR111 has both a T-Molding and a Threshold transition for hardwood to carpeting. What should I use?

2. How do I transition at an exterior door? Do I use the Threshold Molding at each of the exterior doors? We have the front entry door, the garage entry door, and the patio door (door wall).

3. How do I transition at the basement stairs? Should I use the stair nosing for the edge of the flooring? The basement stairs are unfinished 2x6s.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Terry

Post subject: Re: Threshold and Transition Question -- Help!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:33 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Terry in Michigan wrote:

Questions:

1. What is the best accessory for transitioning between the hardwood and the carpeting? I see BR111 has both a T-Molding and a Threshold transition for hardwood to carpeting. What should I use?

I would recommend the one sided reducer at the carpeting. If you want you can cut back the tip at an angle to make it smaller and so the carpet edge can hide a bit underneath. How much you cut depends on the thickness of your carpet and pad. You could also use a baby threshold if you have a thick carpet and pad, especiall y on the 7/16 flooring.

If you used a T molding it would break when stepped on as the carpet will not support it.

Quote:
2. How do I transition at an exterior door? Do I use the Threshold Molding at each of the exterior doors? We have the front entry door, the garage entry door, and the patio door (door wall).

Baby threshold at the doors

Quote:
3. How do I transition at the basement stairs? Should I use the stair nosing for the edge of the flooring? The basement stairs are unfinished 2x6s.

The wood flooring becomes in essence your top step, so you need to use the stair nosing.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:05 am 
New User

Sorry for the dumb questions, but what is a "baby threshold" as opposed to a regular threshold?

BR111 has the prefinished "Threshold Molding." Should I just use that for the transition between the hardwood and carpeting? Our carpeting is a thick plush with a 3/8" pad underneath.

Should we use the same molding at the doors?

Again, thanks for your patience!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:33 am 
New User

You also mentioned using a reducer at the carpeting transition. In your opinion, what looks better, the reducer or the baby threshold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

With a 7/16 floor, you may not need any transition moldings. Tackstrip and tuck the carpet to the wood edge. Anything thicker would require rounding the edge of the last board or boards if they are end cuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:51 pm 
Newbie Contributor

BR111 threshold is what I meant by a baby threshold.

I prefer the reducer to the threshold at the carpet transition to the threshold, because it brings the wood down to the carpet level, sometimes the threshold have have more of a dropoff than I like. But both can work.

Floorguy has the best idea, that would be the cleanest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:40 pm 
New User

Thanks a lot for your information and advice. I'll post pictures once the install in complete next month!!!

Thanks Again!!!